Chapter 20 - Detention

Start from the beginning

"There are, unfortunately, not physical connections," Tanner said.

"How could you possibly know that? You've been standing over there looking out the window the whole time we've been locked in here."

"My stationary pose does not limit my ability to use my other sensors. I have detected numerous wireless networks propagating throughout this office, as well as the Commander's office. It stands to reason that it is more likely that communications would take place using these protocols."

"There are wireless networks in here?" Denton said and looked around involuntarily. "Why didn't you say so? Can you access them, hack them?"

"Perhaps, although with my drastically reduced computing power, it would take longer than my remaining power reserves will allow."

"You're kidding! So we're stuck here because you're running on fumes."

Suddenly, a loud explosion was heard in the distance. The lights flickered, and Denton felt a slight vibration under his feet.

"What was that?"

"Some kind of explosion," Tanner said, matter-of-factly.

"Yes, I can tell that. What I meant...ugh, never mind." Denton said and sighed. He walked over to the door and raised his fist to start banging on the door when it suddenly slid open.

"What the?" he exclaimed and took a few steps back.

The guards that had been stationed outside the door stepped inside, weapons drawn and motioned for Denton and Tanner. "Sir, please follow us."

"Where are we going?"

"Safety. There has been a hull breach. This section of the station has been compromised and needs to be evacuated immediately. Right, this way. We have very little time."

Denton nodded to Tanner, and they left their prison only hours after they had been put in there. The hallway outside of their makeshift cell was dark, lit just by red emergency lighting. Orange flashing lights mounted to the ceiling every fifty feet lit up the surroundings every few seconds.

The guards started running as they motioned for Denton and Tanner to follow. It didn't take long for Denton to lose track of their whereabouts as they followed the guards through dimly lit corridors and passageways.

"I sure hope we don't get separated from these guys," Denton whispered to Tanner as they paused momentarily for the guards to open a stuck door.

"I have memorized the path we have taken, and I can easily backtrack if needed. Of course, I'm not sure why we would want to, considering the status of the station. Although I can certainly survive without oxygen, your chances are not as good."

Denton glared at Tanner before they were interrupted by a shout from the guard as the door swung open. Moments later, they found themselves in a conference room without windows. An oval conference table occupied the center of the room and half a dozen chairs were situated around the table. A single light lit up the middle of the empty table and revealed the shadow of a uniformed man on the other side of the table, flanked by soldiers on both sides behind him. When he saw them enter the room, he got to his feet and came around the table. This time, Denton expected the outstretched hand and met the man's greeting with a nod.

"Gentlemen, I'm Admiral Hozera. I apologize for all the cloak and dagger, but it was the only way to get you out of there."

Denton furrowed his eyebrows and tilted his head. "I'm sorry, Admiral, I'm not sure I understand. Cloak and dagger?"

"It means..." Tanner started.

"I know what it means," Denton interrupted.

"There's little time, so I'll explain while we walk," the admiral said as he signaled for his men to take the lead. "You have arrived in the Sol system at an unfortunate time," he continued. "There's quite a bit of, well, shall we say political upheaval at the moment. The governor of Mars has publicly declared his displeasure with how the home office on Earth is treating the citizens of Mars. He's argued that they barely receive the support they need from Earth. There have even been grumblings about a cessation from the Sol Planetary Alliance."

"That sounds problematic," Denton said hesitantly, unsure yet of where the allegiance of the Admiral lay.

"It is, and very frustrating when you're trying to conduct any official business. The governor has, unofficially, started to interfere with Terran affairs, sometimes at great embarrassment to Earth. You," he said and pointed towards Denton and Tanner, "Are just the latest example."

"So where do you fit into this?" Denton asked as he ducked through another door, just behind the Admiral.

"I've been sent here to try to minimize the damage. My position as an Admiral means the governor won't touch me. He knows that I can withdraw the defensive forces of Sol at any time, leaving Mars vulnerable to external threats. So he throws as many wrenches into the business of Earth as he can and then sits back and laughs while I clean up the mess. Anyway, we were fortunate that we were alerted to your arrival and your predicament before the governor did anything else stupid. He's never interfered with intergalactic business before, but it obviously wouldn't be beneath him to do so."

"I'm not sure I'm following," Denton said.

"He's here to save us," Tanner said.

The admiral stopped momentarily and grinned as he nodded. "He's right, you know," he said as he pointed at Tanner. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name?"

"Tanner, sir."

"Tanner. A pleasure."

"Forgive me, Admiral, if I may," Tanner continued, "My power reserves are running dangerously low."

"Of course, of course. We're almost there."

"Almost where?" Denton asked.

"The shuttle that will take you to Earth. As I was saying, we got a tip about your unfortunate circumstance and decided that it would be best to extract you immediately before the governor decided to put his foot in his mouth again."

"So he doesn't know?"

"About this? No, he likely has no idea. He wouldn't be happy if he knew though, I can tell you that. Ah, here we are."

They stopped in front of a closed door and waited while one of the guards entered a code into a keypad, followed by an iris scan and instant DNA-profile query. Denton felt a strange sense of relief when the red light turned to green. The door slid open, and the soldiers led the way through the door. The admiral motioned for them to walk through and as soon as they came through the door, it closed behind them. Denton held up his arm in front of his eyes and squinted as he allowed his eyes a few seconds to adjust from the dim lighting of the disabled space station wing to the bright fluorescent light in the room they just entered.

"Mr. Staxx, we meet again," a familiar voice said somewhere in front of Denton. He lowered his arm and gasped as he took an involuntary step backward. There was no mistaking the red hair and the uniform he had seen just hours ago.

"Co-Co-Commander Connor?" he stammered.

Leah locked her eyes with his and flashed a mischievous smile. "Good to see you again," she said.

~~~

Commander Connor, who was heading to see the Governor and tossed Tanner and Denton in "jail" suddenly appears again. Is it a trap? What do you think? Will they ever make it to Earth?