~ Chapter 19 ~

Beginne am Anfang

Arata nodded, pondering what that fight had anything to do with the question he had asked just a second ago.

"That fight killed many people and left Maho's defence in utter chaos. All the men were forced to take on defence for the city by the King. No one could protest, they had no choice. Only a few Tamers were still alive back then, we lost so many men. What few tamers we had left was chosen as our Commanders and divided us into four units, the one that you know now is what we have become.

"I didn't like my new lifestyle, it was dull and boring. We were taught to fight, given meals that were mostly extravagant to keep us healthy - that was probably the only thing I did like - but there was nothing really of any importance to us. We had to fight, we had to."

Yoshi pursed his lips, remembering those times when he was back in his youth. He wasn't very fond of them, at least, not for the first part.

"We didn't have a choice. People who made friends with one of the army men usually lost them in a battle campaign. Everyone was quick to lose their morals, we all fought like we were dead inside. The only reason we did fight was a hope to see our family again.

"For many years, the Tamers began to build up in population again as the men who were forced into Military work began to learn tamer abilities and found their tamer beast. The Military Force soon came back to being a army that no one could take down." 

Yoshi frowned, propping his chin on his closed hands. 

"Around this time, we were allowed to leave the Military and leave whenever we wanted to - that was around six years ago."

Arata pursed his lips, confused. He wasn't understanding what was going on at this point. Yoshi's story made it seem like he wanted to leave, so why hadn't he?

"If you had that much time and had the option to leave, then why didn't you?"

A smile came to Yoshi's face, turning his head to face the redheaded prince. It was like he was remembering something good about his past for once.

"Well, someone changed our minds. A year before the decree was made that we could quit our job and be ordinary men, a new man was appointed as Head Commander of the Knight Unit, along with a new lieutenant. The new lieutenant was someone everyone knew, but the new Head Commander just kind of popped out of nowhere. He was set on the top of the stool when he came into the Military for the first time."

His eyes lit up at the memory, remembering it like it was yesterday.

"He was an extraordinary man. One that everyone admired. He was like a shining star, he was so bright that everyone had to look away, but he attracted everyone. He had that aura of happiness, safe, a security everyone was relieved to have. He inspired the other commanders, he inspired all of the men. His skills were extraordinary, especially in persuasion. 

"However, what was most important was the safety and security he gave us. He protected us like we were the citizens of Maho. He guarded the people and the Military, he brought us all to victory. Hardly anyone died on his watch. Without him, we would've probably fallen apart and our army would've been left to dust since everyone wanted to return home."

Arata's eyes flickered with recognition, remembering those words from a certain someone.

---

"Many don't die on your watch?"

"Not many, not under our command," she replied. "Our orders are always for the best of the people and the guard. We are guards of the people after all, but we have to protect the people that guard them too. It's the commander's job to lead them into a situation that they can win, they know that."