Chapter 34

I had absolute no idea what kind of plan was brewing in Joyce's head, but I wasn't ruling anything out just yet. 

We were trekking down random hallways in an uncomfortable silence, our actions definitely juxtaposed. 

She was practically skipping down the vacant hallways, the wide smile never leaving her lips. 

I was a total different story. I made it a point to keep as much distance between us and I took slow, cautious steps, unsure of Joyce's next moves. There was no way anyone could miss the look of uncertainty and weariness etched on my face. 

It wasn't until we landed on the second floor that Joyce fell in step with me, clearing her throat rather obnoxiously. 

When she made a move to talk, I visibly flinched, preparing for her next words. 

"I know how difficult in can be."

Her words caught me so off guard, I had to do a double take, stopping in my tracks. 

"What?" I expressed my confusion without a second thought. 

My eyes were narrowed, studying her every move as she stopped too, turning to face me. 

The smile had yet to leave her lips, and I was starting to get a little worried. 

"It's okay, Lona. Any and everyone who has been in a similar situation has there own way of dealing." She spoke to me like a toddler, her words slow and emphasized. 

What the hell...? 

Crossing my arms over my chest firmly, I scowl deeply, trying to understand what in the world she was talking about. 

One of her claw like manicured hands reached for my upper arm, giving it a tight squeeze. 

I immediately took a large step back, causing her hand to fall to her side. 

She mimicked my actions and crossed her arms over her chest, but didn't make a move to speak. 

Shaking my head, I continue down the hallway, deciding not to acknowledge Joyce's confusing antics.

I didn't hear her footsteps following after me, but that didn't stop me. 

My mind was cleared, I decided. There was nothing distracting me now, I better get back to class. 

And as far from Joyce as possible.

Gym has never been my favorite, but at this moment, I wanted nothing more than to get back to class. 

I was halfway down the hall when Joyce called out to me. 

"You can't avoid the truth forever. Pretty soon, you're going to be the laughing stock of the school." Her words came out sharply, almost venomously. 

I came to a complete stop and turned around quickly, my eyebrow raised. 

Joyce stared back at me with a challenging glint in her eyes and a small smirk. 

"What are you talking about Joyce? If you're just trying to start shit, save it for another day. I'm not in the mood." My irritation was crystal clear, yet Joyce didn't seem to get the hint. 

I watched as she took her time striding over to me, her ponytail swinging wildly behind her. 

When she was a few feet in front of me, she stopped. 

We were almost eye level when she wasn't wearing her sky high heels, and I was surprised to notice that she still had an inch or two on me. What?