Chapter 10

When I approached him, the first thing I realized was that my assumption was right

     When I approached him, the first thing I realized was that my assumption was right. Noah was close to crying. My heart tightened in my chest. My curiosity grew more and more as Noah continued to ignore me as he spoke on the phone. Another three minutes rolled by before he said goodbye to the person, and put his phone in his back pocket.

He glanced and me before turning around, trying to hide the fact that he was wiping his eyes.

"W-what's wrong?" I stuttered in a whisper.

"Um," Noah said, turning back around to face me. "M-my sister..." he trailed off, looking anywhere but at me.

My heart almost stopped. My body became tense. "Abbie? What about her Noah? What happened?"

Abbie was Noah's younger sister. She was in the tenth grade along with her twin brother Michael. Abbie and I were really close...until two years ago. We both treated each other like sisters because neither one of us had one.

So as you could expect, Noah's hurt expression, the phone call, Abbie's name...it all left me freaking out now. I loved Abbie like a real sister, and just the thought of something bad happening to her made me want to break down in tears.

"She's in the hospital. I've got to go," Noah stated before making his way towards the back gate.

"Noah, please tell me what's going on!" I reached out and gripped his arm, trying to stop him from leaving.

He didn't bother to spare me a second glance as he yanked his arm out of my grip and continued to make his way to his car parked on the curb.

"I have to go," he repeated, picking up his pace.

Due to his long legs and me being shorter, I had to jog to keep up with him. "Noah! What the hell happened!" I shouted just as Noah climbed into his car.

I sighed when I heard the engine start. Stomping my foot childishly, I scowl before muttering "screw it," and I climbed into his car.

He looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "What are you doing?"

I buckled myself in before crossing my arms. "I'm going, whether you like it or not. This is Abbie we're talking about. I care just as much about her as you do."

Noah was silent as he stared at me with his intense brown eyes. He managed to get a weak chuckle out before putting the car into drive. "There's no point in arguing with you Malona. I'd just lose anyways."

I smiled triumphantly before pulling my phone out.

Setting my phone in my lap, I look at Noah carefully

Setting my phone in my lap, I look at Noah carefully. His eyes were glued to the road and he was clutching the wheel so tight, his knuckles started to turn white.

"Noah, what happened?" I squeaked, scared to anger him.

He was quiet for a few seconds before sighing. "She was hanging out with a few of her friends. One of them is a year older, so they got their license. They went for a drive, and the person behind the wheel was messing around, and ended up rear ending a car at a stoplight before spinning out of control and hitting a tree." He explained quietly, taking his time.

My hart sped up as Noah continued to speak. "There were four people in the car, including her. She was in the front seat. S-she told them to slow down, but they didn't listen. The driver died on the scene. The two people in the back seat are okay. They just got a few bruises and scratches, and one of them sprained their wrist. B-but Abbie. She's in surgery. My mom said she had a broken leg and lost quite a lot of blood, but they don't know anything else."

My hand flew to my mouth in an attempt to muffle the sobs. I saw a tear roll down Noah's face as he accelerated. His eyes became hard after a few minutes and the speed of the car increased.

Wiping my eyes, I gently touch his shoulder. His head snaps in my direction, then he looked down at my hand. I quickly pulled it away and sniffled. "Let me drive. You're in no condition."

He continued to ignore me as he sped forward. "Jesus Noah! Do you want to end up in the hospital too? Pull the damn car over!" It was a low blow, but it was the best attempt I had to stop him from killing us both.

Noah sighed, quickly swerving off of the road and parking the car. Without a word, he opened his door and circled the car while I climbed over the center console to get to the drivers seat.

We were both silent the rest of the way to the hospital, both of us silently praying that Abbie would be okay.

* * * *

Annnnndddd, bammm! That's it for chapter 10! What is it with me and cliffhangers? Haha.

I guess it's the fact that I limit the amount of words for each chapter. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed and are eager to read on!

Please leave your thoughts in the comments, vote and share!