Somehow Different

Saphira sighed as she ran her hand through now tangled blonde locks. Her neck cracked as she shifted her head. She glared at the couch she had fallen asleep across. It was not built for someone to sleep all night on it. Books lay scattered on the floor. A curt series of knocks on her door distracted her from the mess.

“Coming,” she replied as she threw the door open. Severus stared at her in surprise at her ragged appearance.

“Did you just get up?”

“Yes, why?” Saphira asked grouchily. Severus tilted his head to the side as he noticed she was still in yesterday’s dress. He knew Saphira prided herself on her wardrobe.

“Did something happen last night?” He questioned seriously as he entered the room and Saphira shut the door behind him.

“Besides the yelling match between my fireplace and my brother’s? No,” she answered with a shrug.

“Yelling match? Over what?”

“Everything really,” Saphira sighed as she ran her hand through her hair again. Severus frowned. He knew Saphira and Lucius weren’t really all that close, but fights between them were rare and in between. Lucius, on several occasions, had admitted he disliked arguing with Saphira because she knew exactly where to jab to destroy your argument.

“Mostly about Draco, though,” Saphira finished as she yawned again. Severus rolled his eyes. He should’ve known it was about her nephew. Draco was Saphira’s only true weakness. Once the boy was involved, Saphira’s arguments became irrational and illogical. Saphira glanced at Severus to see if he had accepted her answer. When she saw he had, she sighed. She hadn’t felt like telling him that she had dreamed of Sirius all night. She had been hoping that all of the reading she had done before falling asleep might have pushed him from her mind, but it hadn’t done any such thing.

“I’m sorry,” Severus admitted suddenly as Saphira stared at him. It was rare that she ever heard Severus apologize. It was even rarer that it be directed toward her.

“For what?” She asked, confused. She yawned again, covering her mouth with her hand.

“My behavior yesterday. I was rude to you,” he explained as Saphira waved him off.

“Oh? That? I deserved that. I forgot you don’t like talking about Black and the rest of the Marauders. I should’ve taken my concerns to Albus or kept them to myself,” she replied with a shrug. Severus stared at her for a moment before he swept a stray tangle away from her eyes. Severus watched Saphira’s face go into a guarded look as he smirked.