Hating the Past

“How dare he have the nerve to show pity for me?!”  Saphira growled as she stormed in Severus’s office in the dungeons. Severus looked up in interest as he lowered the goblet of wine he held between his fingers.  

“Lea,” he drawled as she paced back and forth across the area in front of his fireplace.

“That….man! Mentioning his name to me! How dare he!” Saphira muttered darkly as she continued to pace. Severus watched her with piqued interest. Saphira seemed infuriated and embarrassed all at once. It was a rare combination for the blonde to exhibit.

“Lea, you have to be more specific when you say that man,” Severus replied before Saphira turned to him suddenly.

“Lupin! He told me I was here because of him,” She seethed as she threw her hands up into the air in frustrated anger. Severus quirked an eyebrow at her statement. He was surprised the werewolf had been brave enough to confront the blonde so early in the year.

“Lea, I don’t know what you are so upset about. You are here because of him,” Severus reasoned as Saphira scoffed.

“Yes, but Lupin doesn’t have to know that, does he? What is he doing here anyways?”

“He’s the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher,” Severus replied in a clipped tone. It bothered him immensely that Albus had once again skipped over him for the position.  

“Defense Against the Dark Arts? Ha, that twit couldn’t defend himself against a chipmunk!” Saphira muttered darkly as she sat down roughly in the soft chair that was sitting by Severus’ bookshelf. Severus sighed as he flicked his wand and conjured another goblet and filled it with wine.  Saphira quickly gulped down the drink as soon as it was handed to her.

“Lea, calm down,” Severus remarked as he turned back to the book he was reading. Saphira scoffed at the idea. She wasn’t ready or willing to calm down and accept she was being pitied by an ex-marauder.

“Stupid, bloody git,” she muttered as she leaned her head back.

**

“Severus,” Remus greeted when he saw the Potions Master enter his classroom the next day. He guessed Severus’ free period corresponded with his, or else he wouldn’t be here in the middle of the school day.

“Stay away from Saphira,” Severus warned as he glared at the smiling man. Remus’ smile faltered.

“Why? We do work together,” Remus asked as he tilted his head to the side.

“Do not test me, Lupin. It’s bad enough she has to worry about Black,” Severus growled as Remus frowned.

“So she is here because of Sirius,” Remus deduced as Severus glared at him. Remus sighed.

“Severus, you may not forgive me for my past, but believe me, Saphira has never been a target of my distaste. After all, she was Sirius’s only true love and I know his betrayal hurt her as much as it hurt me,” Remus explained as Severus stared at him.

“I apologize if I made it appear as if I was mocking her,” he finished as Severus glared at him. He couldn’t think of anything cold to say, so he scoffed and left the werewolf alone. His robes billowed as he stormed through the hallways. He paused on one of the outer hallways and noticed the class down by Hagrid’s hut. He could see Saphira standing next to the half-giant with her pale blonde hair whipping in the wind.

“She seems to be doing well,” Severus tensed as Albus appeared at his side. Severus nodded at the Headmaster’s comment. It was true. Saphira really appeared to be a true educator.

“Do you agree with my decision about bringing her here, Severus? After all, you do know her the best,” Albus remarked as Severus turned to him.

“I believe she does need to confront Black, but I would have preferred she did it while he was in Askaban,” Severus conceded. Albus chuckled.

“Yes, I’m sure you would. It seems Mr. Malfoy has asked the school board to make sure she is safe at all times,” Albus announced as Severus scoffed.

“He’s informed me as well. He does truly care for his sister,” Severus explained as Albus nodded.

**

“And this ‘ere is a blast-ended skrewt,” Hagrid announced as he lifted a large grub-like creature. Saphira frowned at the sight of the animal.

“Now I want you all to feed ‘em,” Hagrid finished as the class looked skeptical. Saphira’s frown deepened.

“In partners. And if you don’t think you can do it, that’s fine,” Saphira added hastily as the class nodded. Hagrid sulked when he noticed several pairs not even coming near the creatures. Saphira sighed as she turned to him.

“I understand that you’re in love with all the creatures of this world, Professor Hagrid, but these are children and it’s better if we can give them safer assignments,” Saphira explained as Hagrid turned to her in surprise. In all honesty, when he had been told he would have an assistant and her name was Saphira Malfoy, he had been skeptical. Quite frankly, he was sure he’d hate her. But Saphira had turned out to be a wonderful assistant and she only stepped in when she needed to. She put the students’ safety first, he noticed instantly as her eyes traveled through the class.  Her nephew was smirking as he easily fed the creature. She smiled softly, before frowning when she noticed Neville Longbottom’s face being singed by the skrewt’s attack. Harry Potter seemed to be doing well, Saphira grumbled.

“Ah! Get this thing away from me!” Saphira sighed as she turned and watched the blast-ended skrewt singe her nephew’s blonde eyebrows.

**

“Honestly, Draco,” Saphira mumbled as she put burn ointment on the teen’s red skin. Draco winced.

“That oaf shouldn’t be a teacher,” he grumbled more to himself than to his aunt. Saphira sighed.

“Draco, don’t talk ill of your professors,” Saphira remarked.  Draco scowled but didn’t say anything else. He knew his aunt meant well and that she couldn’t very well agree with him. Out loud, at least. 

“Aunt Phira?”

“Yes, Draco?” Saphira turned to look at her nephew as she bent over her first-aid kit.

“Was Uncle Regulus related to this Black guy?” Draco asked suddenly as Saphira frowned. It was rare the teen brought up the uncle he had never met. It was almost as rare as the aunt he had locked away in Askaban. Saphira’s frown deepened at the thought of Bellatrix LeStrange.

“Your uncle was his younger brother,” Saphira replied honestly. Draco frowned.

“So technically we’re related to him?” Saphira scoffed.

“You’re not dear. I was,” Saphira answered. Draco gave a soft sigh of relief, but his frown didn’t leave his sharp features.

“They’ll catch him, won’t they, Aunt Phira?”

“Of course. And if they don’t, I will. You have nothing to worry about, Draco,” Saphira soothed as she patted the boy on his head. He softly smiled before standing up.

“You won’t tell Father about this will you? I don’t want him to think I was the incompetent one,”  Draco pleaded as Saphira softly giggled.

“No, Draco. I won’t tell him.”