The First Lie is the Easiest

“I’m not truly qualified to fully teach. I’d be more of an assistant,” she explained as Draco frowned. She could tell he couldn’t understand why she was being forced to be a lowly assistant. In all honesty, she didn’t know why either. She sighed.

“But either way, are you alright with it?” she questioned as she placed a hand gently on his narrow shoulder. Draco nodded his head resolutely.

“Yes, of course, Aunt Phira. I don’t mind having you so close,” Draco admitted. It was a truth he rarely admitted to. He had always been fond of his aunt. She let him do things he wanted to do. He felt comfortable in her presence. He didn’t have to uphold the Malfoy name when he was with her. She did it all for him. He could see why his father let the woman do whatever she pleased. She held a commanding air. Draco felt that even his father would never go against her.

“That’s wonderful. I didn’t want you to think I was spying on you!” Saphira remarked as she smiled gently. Draco quickly hugged the blonde before scurrying out of the room, blushing. Saphira sighed again as she picked up the book she had put down.

“I really hope he’s changed since school,” she mumbled as she stared at down at the pictures. A dragon reared up and expelled metal melting flames. She groaned before setting it upon herself to read everything she could on all the animals she could find.

**

“You look awful, Lea,” Severus commented when he appeared at the blonde’s door early in the morning. The two still had several weeks before they had to return to Hogwarts for the upcoming school year. Saphira scowled as she moved to shut the door in her companion’s face.

“I apologize,” Snape drawled as he pushed past her. She followed him into the kitchen where he had already begun to brew tea.

“Why do you seem more disgruntled than usual?”

“I had a talk with my brother yesterday,” Saphira grumbled disgruntledly. Severus quirked an eyebrow at her admittance.

“And?” He urged, unsure of the reason she was so tired.

“They think the reason I’m going to Hogwarts is to be closer to you. Because that’s a more believable scenario than the prospect of me actually wanting to teach,” she explained as Severus coughed in surprise. Saphira sighed as she sat down heavily in one of the barstools by the island. She put her head in her hand and yawned widely. Severus turned to stare at her.

“And you didn’t dissuade them?”

“Why even try? That’s what they’ve been thinking for the past ten years,” Saphira remarked.

“You’ve never mentioned it before,” Severus commented as the water whistled behind him.

“Didn’t think I had to. I figured Lucius would have mentioned something to you,” Saphira replied as she raised her arms and stretched. She brushed her tangled tresses away from her face. Severus’s face changed from an expression of confusion to one of realization.

“Perhaps that is why he was always asking about you although his is your brother,” Severus suggested as Saphira shrugged.

“Probably,” she smiled softly as she easily floated two tea cups from the cupboard.

“Where’s your house-elf?”

“Asleep. She and I stayed up last night brewing a couple of potions,” Saphira explained, unconcerned. Severus nodded his head in understanding before pouring the boiling water into each of the cups. Saphira placed a tea-bag in each cup as well as a spoon. She conjured the sugar, milk and honey, placing them in between Snape and herself.

“Have they caught him yet?” Saphira asked suddenly as she brought the cup to her lips. Severus frowned as he shook his head.

“No, Lea. If they don’t catch him by the start of school, there are going to be dementors and aurors stationed around the school,” Severus explained as Saphira sighed.

“Do you think I can face him? I mean, do you think I could fight him if I had to?” Saphira questioned as she sat the cup down. Her features were laden with worry. Severus smirked.

“I have faith in you, Lea,” he replied. Saphira nodded her head half-heartedly.

“What are your plans for today?” Snape asked. Saphira shrugged before looking at the clock.

“Cissy wanted me to help her go shopping with Draco. You want to come?” Saphira looked hopeful. She loved her sister-in-law, but Narcissa was the worst shopping companion. She was needy and pretentious, all at the same time.

“What would Draco think?”

“He’d be fine. Trust me,” Saphira answered honestly. It was true. Draco had admitted to Saphira that he liked to see Severus outside of school. He especially liked to see him with her.

“Very well. I need to pick up some supplies anyways,” Severus conceded as he watched Saphira’s face light up with a serene smile.

**

“I think it’s wonderful you two are so close,” Narcissa commented as she walked on Saphira’s left. Severus was on her right and Draco was in front of them. Saphira nodded. She looked ahead and saw Lucius standing just outside of Gringotts, looking smug as usual. She rolled her eyes and lightly patted Severus’s arm.

“You can come with me. I need to go withdraw some money,” Saphira suggested just as they met up with her brother.

“Severus, wonderful for you to join us. I know Saphira is happy for your company,” Lucius remarked when they reached him. The two men shook hands. Saphira sighed.

“Brother, would you mind if I bought Draco’s school supplies?” Saphira asked as Narcissa and Lucius looked at each before shaking their heads.

“We don’t mind at all, Phira!” Narcissa gushed.  Saphira nodded and bid her goodbyes as she dragged Severus into the bank.

“School supplies?”

“Draco mentioned that he wanted to go shopping with me,” Saphira replied with a bright smile. Even the mention of the child brought out a bright smile from the blonde, Severus noted.

“May I help you?”

“Yes, I’d like to access my vault. Here’s the key,” Her voice was firm as she slid the small gold key across the counter toward the frowning goblin. Severus watched the goblin motion for another and the two led them down to the cart that travelled through the caverns. Saphira frowned when they jerked to a stop. Severus shook his head as they followed the goblins to a nearby vault. Severus wasn’t surprised by the amount of money that was held in any of the purebloods’ vaults anymore. Saphira had explained that most of the pureblood came from old money and most added to the fortunes by holding high paying positions in the ministry.

“Sev, take what you need for your supplies. My treat,” Saphira commented when they were left alone. Severus shook his head. She offered every time they ventured here and every time he declined.

“Come on, please? Most of this was Regulus’s and he isn’t using it, now is he?” Saphira joked. Severus sighed before picking up a few galleons. It was be plenty for his supplies. Saphira rummaged through stacks of coins and heirlooms, unconcerned where they were being displaced.

“Ah ha!” She exclaimed as she lifted a silver box.

“What is that?” Severus asked. The box was handcrafted and was monogrammed. S.B.

“It’s a surprise, Sev.” Saphira answered cryptically.