Questioning Reality

“Something doesn’t add up,” Saphira mentioned as she sat next to Severus. His onyx eyes looked over at her, straying from the book he had been reading. Saphira looked deep in thought as she tucked her feet under her body.

“What, Lea?”

“Black and Potter were best friends!”Saphira started unaware of the dark look that came across her companion’s features.

“Indeed,” Severus quipped before Saphira continued.

“It doesn’t make sense for Black to betray Potter. Especially not after he was named godfather to the boy,” Saphira remarked as Severus frowned.

“You think he’s innocent?”

“I think there’s something amiss,”Saphira corrected. Severus shook his head.

“Black could have easily betrayed Potter to save his own life,” he answered. Saphira frowned.

“No, I don’t think he would. He would’ve died before he’d even think that,” Saphira replied knowingly. Severus scoffed.

“And you would know, wouldn’t you?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”Saphira folded her arms across her chest as she glared at her best friend.

“It means you don’t know him as well as you think,” Severus hissed darkly. Saphira stared at him.

“He tortured me, Saphira. Potter, Black, Lupin, and Pettigrew made a sport of it! So I apologize if I believe he had a darker side,” He finished as he slammed his book shut and climbed to his feet.

“Severus,”

“I’m going to my office,” Saphira watched her friend leave the room. She sighed as she looked down at her hands in her lap. She knew she shouldn’t have discussed her suspicions with her friend. He wouldn’t understand.

“I still think it’s strange,” she mumbled to herself.

**

“Are you done throwing your temper tantrum?” Saphira asked when she met up with Severus at dinner.

“I was not throwing a temper tantrum,”Severus grumbled.

“Sure you weren’t. Anyways, are you done?”

“Yes,” Severus replied coolly. Saphira sighed as she took the empty chair next to him. She passed a quick glance down the table and noticed Remus Lupin missing.

“Wonder where Lupin is,” she mumbled more to herself than her companion.

“He’s around, I’m sure,” Severus growled as Saphira looked up in surprise.

“What is with you today? You’re being extra grouchy,” she replied darkly. Severus rolled his eyes.

“My students have been bothersome,” he answered as if that explained everything.

“Must be because of the full moon,”Saphira remarked sarcastically. Severus tensed at her words. Saphira quirked an eyebrow.

“Alright, seriously, what’s up with you? You’re acting like you did when you were being forced for make Wolf’s Bane potion for that awful werewolf, Fenwick or something,” Saphira voice sank as Severus glared at her.

“There is nothing wrong with me,” he seethed as Saphira glared in response to his hostility.

“Right so you’re being ass because you want to then? Is that it?” She growled as Severus turned away from her, intent on not answering her question.

“If I didn’t know any better, Severus, I would think that you’re keeping a secret from me about Lupin,” Saphira remarked as she climbed to her feet roughly.

“Where are you going?”

“Bed. I’ve suddenly lost my appetite you twit,” Saphira growled as she turned swiftly and disappeared from the table. Severus rolled his eyes before he began to eat his dinner. Saphira let out a huff of angry air as she stormed through the castle. She hadn’t really been tired and now she was too riled up to go to bed.

“Aunt Phira!” Saphira turned at the sound of her nephew’s voice. Draco ran up to her and frowned.

“Are you alright, Draco?” Saphira asked, worry etching its way across her face. Draco nodded quickly.

“Yes. I saw you storm out of the Great Hall and I was worried about you, actually,” Draco replied as Saphira sighed and ruffled his blonde hair.

“I’m fine. Your godfather and I had a bit of a spat, that’s all,” she responded as Draco created an o with his lips in understanding. It wasn’t the first time he had seen his aunt and godfather at odds with one another. Oftentimes though, he learned it had to do with his father.

“Did father do something?” He questioned as Saphira quickly shook her head.

“Not that I’m aware of. Why? Did he do something that I need to be upset about?” Saphira asked, suspicious of her older brother.

“No. Unless ordering that oaf’s giant bird to be destroyed is upsetting to you,” Draco grumbled as Saphira frowned.

“Oaf’s giant bird? You mean Professor Hagrid’s hippogriff, Buckbeak?” She questioned as Draco nodded. Saphira clenched her fists at her sides.

“That git. I swear your father continues to find ways to piss me off even when he’s not around me,” Saphira grumbled as Draco frowned.

“But it attacked me, Aunt Phira,” he defended as Saphira frowned at her nephew.

“You provoked a wild and prideful creature, Draco. You should’ve known better. You won’t taunt a dragon, will you?” She questioned as Draco shook his head.

“Then you don’t disrespect a hippogriff,” she replied easily. Draco looked guilty before nodding his head.

“Why don’t you head back to the Great Hall? I’m sure your friends are missing you. Besides, I have to have a very intense conversation with your father,” Saphira suggested as Draco nodded. Saphira quickly hugged him and kissed the top of his head.

“I love you, Draco. Remember that,”she whispered as he smiled and turned to head back to his friends.

“I love you too, Aunt Phira,” Draco remarked before he disappeared into the Great Hall. Saphira sighed as she stormed to her room.

**

Sirius paced the room he had been staying in. The dilapidating building he found himself him stirred up painful and joyful memories all at once. After all, The Shrieking Shack had been the sight of many exploits between his friends. It was where they had come once a month to help Remus Lupin deal with his change. If he looked out the window, he could see the silhouette of Hogwarts in the distance. He could picture Saphira standing at her window, looking out and seeing the silhouette of the Shrieking Shack. But he knew she’d never look for it. It held no meaning in her mind. It would simply be an object of a haunting tale. No doubt, by now she had forgotten about its very existence.

“If only you knew the truth,” Sirius mumbled as he thought of Saphira. He had no doubt in his mind that she was thinking he had betrayed her trust that night they had met. But she didn’t know the truth. She didn’t know what he did. Peter Pettigrew was alive and he was in the castle with her and Harry Potter. Sirius knew he had to protect the woman he loved and his godson. He vowed to do whatever it took to bring Peter to justice. Only then could Saphira ever truly forgive him for his betrayals. Only then could he possibly attempt to salvage his destroyed life. In his haste to capture Peter that night, he had lost any other opportunities to sneak into the castle. They had upped the security. More dementors. More aurors. The risk was too great. A soft mew distracted Sirius from his melancholic thoughts. He smiled down at the ginger orange cat that rubbed itself against his leg lovingly.

“Hey Crookshanks. He eluded you again?” He asked as the cat mewed again. Sirius groaned.

“He always was good at running away, the bloody coward,” he growled more to himself than to the cat. Crookshanks let out a sound of agreement before jumping up onto the nearby bed and curling up, content to sleep while his master planned his next action.