The Three Broomsticks

“Honestly,” Saphira sighed as she watched her nephew practically strut out of the castle. Today was the last Hogsmeade visit before Christmas and the blonde boy had been looking forward to it. Saphira, on the other hand, had not. With Sirius Black still on the loose, she had preferred to keep her nephew close by. In fact, she wanted him to be kept in the castle along with Potter. She frowned as she thought about the dark haired teenager. Her eyes travelled up the staircase toward the Gryffindor Tower where he should be sulking. She watched his two friends walk down with contradictory looks upon their faces. The girl, Hermione Grainger, looked apprehensive while Ronald Weasley looked downright excited.

“Professor,” Grainger greeted as Saphira nodded at them in acknowledgement. It was odd to see the two of them alone without their fearless leader. She imagined he was still sulking in his room after the Quidditch match the last week. He had fallen from his broom after the Dementors had invaded the match and his broom had been shattered by the Whomping Willow. She felt for him. The dementors made her sick to her stomach just by existing. She hated the things with a passion.

“Ah, Professor Black!” Saphira turned to Minerva McGonagall with a smile.

“Professor McGonagall,” she greeted easily. The older woman looked at her for a moment before smiling.

“Would you care to join a few of us at the Three Broomsticks my dear?” Saphira looked surprised before nodding slowly. Minerva nodded and turned to leave the castle. Saphira stared after the Transfiguration teacher. It was the first time the teacher had invited her to anything outside of work. When the last of the students allowed to leave had left, Saphira followed after them. She stopped just outside of the doors and her mind drifted briefly to Severus. However she remembered their last conversation.  Ever since Halloween, Severus had been wary around her. She had finally confronted him and they had ended up arguing for a good two hours before she stormed out of his office and didn’t return.  She sighed. Eventually she’d apologize. It just wouldn’t be today. The walk to Hogsmeade was cold, but nice. The snow was lightly falling and seemed to dance in the slight breeze. She remembered taking this walk as a student. It felt weird walking it alone now.  By the time Saphira reached the Three Broomsticks, Minerva and the others had already arrived. She was quickly waved over as Cornelius Fudge looked up and practically beamed.

“Ms. Black!” Saphira smiled.

“Minister. A pleasure as always,” she greeted as she took a seat next to Minerva. The older woman nodded at her as the others smiled.

“It’s so nice to see you out of the castle,” Flitwick remarked as Saphira giggled softly.

“Yes, it’s a rare occurrence for me, I admit,” she agreed. Their conversation was interrupted by another woman’s voice.

“A small gillywater —”

“Mine,” Minerva answered.

“Four pints of mulled mead —”

“Ta, Rosmerta,” said Hagrid.

“A cherry syrup and soda with ice and umbrella —”

“Mmm!” Flitwick chirped, smacking his lips.

“A tea with a little bite ─” Saphira looked up and smiled.

“That’s probably me,” She remarked as she took the cup and took a quick sniff. The honey smell of the tea was mixed with a hint of firewhiskey. It was her favorite social drink.

“So you’ll be the red currant rum, Minister.”

“Thank you, Rosmerta, m’dear,” Cornelius replied.