"Times up," the mad one grinned and two grunts grabbed the boy's arms painfully

"Times up," the mad one grinned and two grunts grabbed the boy's arms painfully. The look on their faces that of sadistic glee. "Three, two, one," they counted down before swinging Nathan into the flames.

Nathan screamed as he was thrown into the flames but it was too late. The door slammed behind him, leaving him in the inferno of heat. The inferno of heat which was not actually burning him. Trembling, hands still tied, Nathan opened his eyes and confirmed he was still in the fire, but the fire was not touching him. The heat was almost unbearable but not enough to kill straight away. Tears still rolled down his face as Nathan waited for the flames to close in on him, wondering if it was the Jace user's way of torturing him with being saved.

There was a loud bang and the door to the furnace ripped open. A clawed hand reached in and yanked him out of the furnace. Slightly blinded by the light of the flames and suddenly go back into darkness, Nathan knelt on the ground sobbing, clutching his saviour's leg with his bound hands. The person who had saved him knelt down and released his binds before hugging him. Arms and wings surrounding him and making him feel safe, even if the fact he had been saved by someone with wings would have sent his mind into meltdown only a week before.

"Thank you," he whispered, clinging to the person who frankly stank of rotten eggs. A woman, he realised as he pressed against her chest, his head burying in the crook of her neck. Scales covered her shoulders and the wings were leather. Over her shoulder, he saw the dead bodies of the Jace users. Oct and the stranger who had tried to save him standing to the side, looking worse for wear but distinctly alive.

"You're safe from them at least," she breathed, her voice deep, hands rubbing Nathan slowly for a few moments. Nathan shivered, understanding the implication of that. People were still after him. The lady stood, lifting Nathan with her in a bridal type hold. Normally Nathan would have been embarrassed but if he had tried to stand on his own feet right then, he would only collapse on the floor. He suddenly felt incredibly weak and tired.

"I thought they killed you," Nathan said softly, looking over at Oct and stranger. The two men shrugged, a slight blush on the Asian's face.

"They almost did," the woman commented with a disapproving tone. "You were both foolish to jump in so fast. Especially you Fu Fang. We are masters of fire, it is our friend. You could have stopped it burning him as easily as I could," she scolded darkly. Fang turned his head slightly, the blush on his cheeks increasing. "Octavius, you too should have known better. Just how old are you again?"

"Too old to make such a mistake. My thanks Warden for saving me," Oct commented in a very ceremonial way of speaking, his eyes low in embarrassment at having been saved from Jace users.

"Warden..." Nathan breathed, looking back up at the woman who had saved him. Her beast aspects were fading slightly, along with the smell, revealing beige skin and orange eyes. He had heard rumours of the title. A person with the secret police who worked in the underbelly. According to the rumours, there were at least two such people in the city.

"Warden Maria at your service," she smiled at him softly, her eyes turning sharp again as she looked back up at the adult men. "I am serious Tim. I do not want to have to call our brothers and tell them you got yourself shot by Jace users. Next time think. Now, given you totalled Donny's car..."

"That was for a good reason," Tim/Fang grumbled. "Idoit here almost ran over a four-year-old," he muttered, glaring at Oct. Oct only glared back but had nothing to say to defend himself from that accusation. "Emergency or not, he shouldn't have endangered people on the road!"

"In which case, Oct you can tell Donny," Maria said dryly. "Tim, you are going to have to carry Oct back to the Rook. Jaspar needs to see that you are all alive. He saw all die in a vision."

"Ah," Oct twitched. "Kid must be worried unless his eye is open and he sees this."

"I closed it. Jaspar is too exhausted to open it again tonight," Maria said softly, her voice taking on a saddened tone. "Seer's mind was a mess with different flashes of the future and present. Some of which John and Lord Calder will need to know," she breathed before shaking her head and focusing on the now, looking down at the wide-eyed Nathan, who was still trembling from shock. "We better head back. You need to rest," Maria commented, turning around and heading for the exit.

"Wait! Mari, how did you get here so fast?" Oct asked, frowning as he followed her. "You weren't here five minutes ago. I would have smelled you, even with him here," he commented, gesturing at Tim/Fang who glared.

"So I smell do I?" Tim/Fang commented darkly. "You sure that's the best thing to say to someone who's going to be carrying you?" he asked threateningly.

"You dragon shifter all smell like brimstone. Except Maria has perfume over hers so it smells weird," Oct winkled his nose. "No offence," he added.

Maria laughed, Nathan, feeling her whole body move in the laughter. "None taken. Most of the Rook patrons don't smell particularly nice. I'm a female dragon from the flash tribe Octavius. I am nothing but a credit to my tribe. My only flaw is I am barren. Everything else is perfect," she winked as she kicked open the front door, her wings spreading wide. "See you at the Rook boys," she commented before taking off. Nathan clinging on to her as the wind rushed past him.

"Flash tribe?" Oct asked, looking at Tim.

"Like I'm telling you dragon shifter secrets," Tim said dryly. "Now either hold on to my shoulders or my waist before I leave you behind."