Part 14

The noise from the bar was lower than normal for a moment before increasing at the realisation that Jaspar was a seer kicked in and people started talking excitedly about it. After all, it was obvious his eyes had been taken from him. A seer who could still see into the veil after their source was taken? That was unheard of and given Elison was still alive meant that he had not made a mistake when taking the boy's eyes.

Elison sighed heavily before moving up the stairs in silence. Jaspar really wished he would say something. It was impossible for him to tell if he was in trouble for telling the man a warning for his future.

"Elison," he said cautiously but needing to know what Elison was thinking at that moment.

"Gods kid, you couldn't have kept the fact you are a seer to yourself a little longer?" Elison groaned sounding thankfully more exasperated than angry. "They are going to be spreading rumours now about this. Not that it matters particularly because of the enchantments on his place but still," Elison signed. "Going to have to be more careful with you after this," Elison muttered darkly.

"Sorry but death visions tend to be harder not to say anything about," Jaspar admitted bashfully. He shouldn't have to say sorry to Elison of all people but the man was right. Jaspar had been brought up very sheltered because of the danger seers faced from kidnappers. At the same time he was thanking all the gods Elison was not angry at him for speaking. The words Elison had said to the man was 'free advice', which suggested the words of warning he had given were something which normally would have been paid for. Elison sounded more concerned about him and how he was going to keep Jaspar safe than money.

"Well at least we know for sure now," Elison signed sounding almost tired. "Once is a fluke, twice is for certain. You're still a seer Jaspar. I don't know why, but you are."

Jaspar was silent, not sure how to respond to that statement. He honestly didn't know if that was a good or bad thing that he was still a seer. The middle house didn't sound that great considering that was where John had got Justice from but he didn't know what Calder would be planning for him. Which was when another question occurred to him.

"Elison, why did the man call me a pup?" he blurted out instead. Elison just laughed, the sound rumbling from his chest making Jaspar more confused. It wasn't that funny.

Rather annoyingly, Elison refused to explain why he had found the statement so funny. Instead, he pressed his lower face against Jaspar's hair, Jaspar able to feel him smiling as he took him to the doctor.

"Hey Doc," Elison said cheerfully as he placed Jaspar onto a hard wooden chair, a hand resting on his shoulder as moved behind Jaspar. "This is Jaspar. Jaspar, this is Doctor Green. Doctor Green specialises with eyes and Doctor Green was the one who sent search parties out for you when you never arrived in her clinic," Elison introduced.

"Nice to meet you," Jaspar nodded, not sure where the woman was in the room. He could smell male aftershave, but there was also a sweet smell in the room. "Thank you for getting the word out," he added, feeling a little safer. That had been the point of explaining that point to him and Jaspar knew it but he was still grateful for the information. Not everyone in the city who was connected to this world was evil then. This person must have cared somewhat to put the word out that he had not arrived.