"Then you are useless to us and not worth enough to live," the man growled. "Too young to even sell into the market."

"Not that we could," snorted the man who was monitoring the furnace, waiting for when it was hot enough to kill Nathan quickly. "You're marked by the city baron. He won't be happy with what has been happening under his very nose," he chuckled darkly. "That human bitch too, they have no idea of what is brewing in the underbelly. Far too locked in their own games. Time for a change of pace."

"Revolution," one of the men laughed sounding drunk and slightly hysterical. "Down with the King. Cut off his head and watch his body dance," he breathed, crouching down and breathing into Nathan's face. "Poor little baby. You feel too deep to survive now."

"I just want to go home," sobbed Nathan.

"And you will," Oct growled, jumping down from his hiding place, Tim rolling his eyes and staying hidden. "Let him go, and I might not kill you," he growled, pointing his claws at them warningly.

"We have a guest," one chuckled, none of the three looking particularly concerned by this. "Demon spawn."

"Octavius," one grinned. "Former angel who now hunts down people for money. Except, this one you want to save. Interesting that," the man one tilted his head. "Wonder why?"

"Too young to desire. That would get your head chopped off," the furnace one giggled.

"I have my reasons," Oct said watching the men carefully, not missing how Nathan was shifting away from them into a corner. He walked towards the boy but gasped as lightning shot up his leg, making him fall to the ground.

"Not that easy," one laughed. "We're human, mostly. This place is well booby-trapped against your kind. Nathan's kind has a habit of making people loyal to time."

"I'm human too," Nathan whispered.

"For the moment," the furnace man grinned. "In ten minutes, you'll be dead."

The three men all burst into laughter at those words. With a roar of rage, Oct pushed himself to his feet and dived at the nearest man. The man darted out of the way almost too easily, cackling as he did so, shifting his hips in an effeminate manner.

"Missed me missed me, now you got to kiss me," he taunted in a singing voice, eyes sparkling with dark magic.

"You're druggies," Oct suddenly realised, having not smelt it over the fuel of the furnace. "That's why you're mad. You've been taking Jace," he growled, claws still out, trying to get his timings right. His leg was slowing him down now. It was hard to move fast with it screaming in pain but Oct had not survived so long without being able to ignore pain.

Tim winced. Jace druggies changed things. It was dangerous for humans and supernaturals alike but in humans, it also produced supernatural like qualities. Alchemist had discovered the drug while trying to find a way to enhance humans who were around the supernatural a lot to give them a chance. It didn't take long for it to get into circulation and out of the control. John and Calder had banned it from the city which meant, these weren't their goons.

"Jace, Jace? What's that? Oh. You mean Heaven's Gate," the third man laughed from where he was creeping on the floor closer to Nathan. "Well, not for you Oct. Hell's pits are where your soul with go. Nathan's still pretty pure. I'm sure you'll go up top," he said almost like he was trying to reassure Nathan.

"Come on," the one Oct had attacked was taunting. "Fight! Stop us killing poor little Nat. Times a ticking,"

Tim gripped his sword handle tighten, looking for any signs of booby-traps for him Oct had acted too rashly and now he was in danger too. Jace users were hard to fight. The drug giving them inhuman speeds which eventually wasted their bodies. Jace users died when they turned literally into dust. Cursing inwardly as Oct failed to stop the men, Tim jumped in himself.

He didn't say anything, just heading straight for Nathan, with intent to pick him up and go out of the nearest window.

"Not so fast, Dragon!" A laughing voice taunted as he grabbed Nathan's waist. "We were waiting for you."

There was a click and something heavy fell on his back. The air in his lungs was forced out as he was pushed to the floor with invisible weights. His head span and he couldn't focus on anything. Silver chains, they had enchanted chains. Strong enough to hold him down. Snarling his beast ripped to the surface, his wings and claws spouting painfully from his skin as it tried to escape its bindings.

"Pretty dragon," the one who had caught him cooed.

"Warden!" Oct called.

"Worry about yourself demon," a voice teased. Then there was a loud bang.

The bullet went through Oct's head and the man's eyes went blank, collapsing on the floor. There was a roar of anger from Tim, the Warden's eyes glowing dark red and he fought against the enchanted chains holding him down but the men only laughed and shot him too. The dragon howling one last time before slumping himself, leaving the two men in a puddle of growing black blood.

Nathan watched in horror and shook his head as they approached him again with a mad and twisted look in their eyes. Eyes begging for mercy he knew would never come. The chimes of midnight echoed through the room.

"Times up," the mad one grinned and two grunts grabbed the boys arms. "Three, two, one."

Nathan screamed as he was thrown into the flames but it was too late. The scream increased into a haunting echo as he burned.

The scene changed and the unknown man in the grimy motel bathroom was back. Looking into the mirror and clutching his chest. A relieved look on his face despite the injuries which now littered him. Long claw marks on his back. Injuries which seemed to be healing in front of his very eyes.

"Someone stopped it," the man whispered with a grime. Looking deep into the reflection of the mirror. The reflection was not of him. But of a monster who was snarling with rage. The man only laughed, before coughing painfully as he wounds opened slightly. He slid to the floor of the bathroom, tears of pain rolling down his face and he rubbed the side of his face. "Someone stopped it this time," he murmured. "Next time I might not get so lucky. I have to find a way to control it," he breathed, closing his eyes.

The mirror shook as the monster banged against it in anger. Almost like it was trying to break through into this world. The man laughed again. "Shut up!" he yelled. The monster stopped banging on the mirror and started huffing and puffing. Clearly not pleased by the order but following it anyway.

Its time outside the shadow realm was over. For now.

Once again the scene changed. This time to a dark and empty warehouse. There were two men. One on the floor, iron chains restraining him on his eyes and his red eyes looked up the second pleadingly. "My Lord, please reconsider," he begged.

It was Elison. Elison was begging for his life.

"You let him get away and there are consequences for that," Calder murmured, cleaning his pistol. It was an old thing but he clearly cared for it. Calder's hair was shaved and the man was as pristine as ever, unlike Elison who looked like he had a rough week. "You were his keeper and now you must pay the price. It is not acceptable to run away from those who own you. Any last words?"

"I was loyal!" Elison snarled.

"You were. I'm sorry you failed such an important duty," Calder said almost sadly before placing the gun between Elison's eyes and shooting. "Goodbye."