Picking up the Pieces

The following day Ally didn't let me work at all, she claimed that Emily can drop in anytime. She was almost more excited than me. I tried to make time pass, I just sat in front of the computer all afternoon long. After two someone knocked on the door. I was surprised when I saw a boy in front of Emily.

"Sorry, I couldn't make it any sooner. Brad has some problems at his workplace again and mom's working. I really wanted to see you. Don't you mind?"

"No, I don't mind." I smiled "What's your name, champ?" I asked the boy.

"Colin."

"I'm Lea."

"Hi."

"Do you have any plans?" I looked at the girl.

"How about the playground? There's one nearby and I think Colin would love it."

"Sure, okay." I closed the door behind them "Uh, can I get you something?"

"I guess we're fine."

"Let me change. Five minutes tops."

"Sure, no problem. So, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I am." I yelled from my room.

"What about the others? Treating you well?"

"They still love me!" I chuckled "Bailey was a sweetheart last night."

"Shall I worry about him?"

"No, of course not. He retrieved some old videos. Damn, we were so young!"

"Yeah, you're really old now. When are you going to work?"

"I'm not working today."

"Good. Mom's finishing at four, we can take Colin home later then."

"Yeah, sure, anything you want. I still have the car seat, so no problem at all." I finished changing and I walked out.

"Cool. Wow..." she looked at me.

"What?" I frowned.

"Nothing." she blushed.

"Shall we go?" I grabbed my keys.

"We can walk to the playground. Then you can drive us home. I mean, Colin only. I'm babbling, let's go."

I smiled as I let them out. We walked slowly, Emily kept looking out for the boy. She matured so much. I wanted to hold her close, as close as possible. I just couldn't. When we arrived Colin started playing and we sat down. The girl didn't really take off her eyes of him. I felt so proud of her. When I smiled she looked at me.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Do you think my mom would freak out?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know, you're back and all..."

"So?"

"I had some problems when we broke up."

"Right, first of all, I broke up with you. I'm the only one to blame. Secondly, what problems?"

"I started slipping in school. I didn't care about anything. I started drinking, I mean, much more than usual. I think I would've done much worse things without the gang. And Ally, well, she really is a great friend."

"Isn't she?" I chuckled "I'm sorry, Em."

"I understood it later. I'm not angry. I just couldn't fill the void. And Bianca came back in summer." she sighed "She apologized and all, and... I was lonely. I actually didn't think you'd come back. Or I didn't think you'd look for me."