A Better Day

I woke up on the couch the following day. Byron had always carried me to bed if I fell asleep on the couch, but not that night. I got woken as he slammed the door when he left. I breathed a sigh. I knew he was angry with me but I thought he would take me to bed. My back hurt like hell but I managed to get on my feet and pull myself together. Leaving all this was way too risky back then. My thoughts kept drifting away and before I could realize I was knocking on Emily's door. Her mother opened the door and she looked at me surprised.

"Good morning, Jessica. I came to pick Emily up."

"I thought that you spent time together yesterday."

"Yes, that's right." I smiled "Oh, don't worry, this one's on me, I'd like to see how she reacts if I move her out of her comfort zone."

"Come in. I was getting to bed. I have night shifts this week."

"I didn't mean to disturb you." I said quietly as I walked in "Didn't Emily tell you I'm taking her out today?"

"No." she sighed "Be honest, Lea. Did you make any progress?"

"I don't want to lie to you." I said as I folded my arms "Seemingly she doesn't hate me."

"Well, that's a good point. Did she try to hurt you?"

"Uh, no." I answered surprised "She didn't try to hurt me in any way. She opens up very slowly, but I think she will. I don't think she has a problem with anyone in particular, except for..."

"Rob. I know." she shakes her head "But it's hard if she doesn't even say a single word."

"I know. I'll make her talk."

"I really am worried for her." she said as she sat down and brushed off her face.

"You shouldn't be worried. She will open up for me." I said quietly as I already heard Emily's footsteps on the stairs.

"Well, I hope so. Listen, if you can spend a little bit more time with her I'd appreciate that. We're both taking night shifts today, so if you can spend time with her..."

She stopped as the girl was already down, she looked at us and seemed to be somewhat angry. She just folded her arms and shook her head. I smiled softly and I saw her face twitch but didn't say a word. She gestured towards the door and I nodded. She rolled her eyes and walked out. I said goodbye to Jessica, promised that I would take care of her then joined Emily. Her arms was still folded when I stopped next to her, I just opened the car with a sigh. We got in, but right before I started the engine she grabbed my arm and started writing.

"Are you ratting me out?"

"No." I sighed "Emily, listen, I had a rough night, can you save the bullshit, please? Just for today?" I looked at her as I started the engine but she just gave me a quizzical look "Nevermind. My head's about to explode, my back is killing me and I just want some peace right now. Please."

She nodded then flipped her notepad once again.

"Tell me about the first kid."

"His name is Juan, he's ten." I sighed as I finally drove off "And his mother says he's a bully. He's a big boy, considering his size. Most probably he was bullied because of that so he became the bully himself. I have no idea what to do with him yet. We'll see. We'll talk a little and all, I'll figure it out."

She nodded then seemingly started thinking. Not much before we arrived she started waving, indicating to stop the car. I stopped then looked at her, she just smiled and got out of the car. I wanted to ask her what she was up to but my phone started ringing. It was Byron. I answered with a sigh.