Happy Birthday

The upcoming weeks passed in almost a split-second. Before I could realize what was happening I finished with all the kids and I was working for Ally in Wicked World. I needed some time to get used to the change, but everything was fine. Emily was much calmer now, she kept studying and now she even raised money. I didn't forget about her birthday of course. I had some surprise for her. We settled a meeting for the evening. Ally couldn't let me go any sooner. It didn't really matter anyway, I reserved a table for 7 pm.

I was minding my own business when the door slammed and drew my attention. Emily stormed in and sat at the counter immediately. She seemed to be very upset.

"Would you get me a beer?"

"Em, it's like three o'clock."

"So? Would you? Please?"

"Fine." I sighed as I opened a beer "What's bugging you?"

"Remember when we talked about family stuff? That my mother actually cares?"

"Yeah." I frowned.

"She fucking forgot it! She didn't even forget about it in the year when dad died!"

"I'm sure she didn't forget about your birthday."

"Oh no, you know what she said? That I shouldn't be waiting for her because she took some extra hours. I even had to remind her I'm going out with you tonight. And that I'm sleeping over."

"Honey, don't be so upset." I gently squeezed her hand "I'm sure she didn't forget about it. You still haven't spoken to her."

"No." she rolled her eyes "Listen, I'm just... Can't you leave now?"

"I wish. Besides, you're ruining everything." I chuckled "I still need to change my clothes and all when I finish here."

"Is that really necessary? It's just a dinner after all."

"No, it's your birthday dinner."

"So," she grinned "do you think Ally suspects something?"

"Suspects something?" I laughed "She knows it all. She knows everything for quite a while."

"Yeah? Like, how?"

"I think it's just obvious. The way you look at me says it all."

"The way I look at you?" she chuckled "What about the way you look at me?"

"You tell me."

"Well, I'm gonna tell you lots tomorrow."

"What, are you evaluating our relationship?"

"Kinda." she shrugged, smiling "Lots of things happened since I know you."

"Oh, that's sure."

"Kiddo, I've been looking for you!" Ally stepped in and sat next to Emily "I have an emergency job for you. Interested?"

"I'm kinda upset right now."

"The better! Listen, you'll be back soon. Just one job for today. Besides, happy birthday."

"Well, thanks."

"And are you really gonna wear these clothes in a restaurant? No way, man! I'll call Alex right now and when you returned we'll get some clothes for you. Lea prepared a lot for this night, don't fuck it up, kiddo!"

"Did you really?" she looked at me.

"Not that much." I smiled "Besides, you deserve it."

"Fine." she groaned "Call Alex."

"On it." the brunette grabbed her phone.

"Listen, I didn't ask much." the girl looked at me "All I wanted was spending a little time with me."