Chapter 40: Darker forces

Start from the beginning

"They always choose to stick by the ones they love, till death do them part... Promise me, you'll take care of my son." He said, and she knew that apart from accepting her love for his son, was giving her his approval of being Hiccup's wife.

"I will Stoick." She replied strongly. Just as he demonstrated that he was willing to die for her, she would also die for him in an instant. That conversation happened two days ago and it only seemed the bond between the two had grown even stronger with that small favour from him, Astrid viewed Stoick like a second father.

It height of the afternoon now; three days since they had returned from their ordeal and Hiccup had to realize that she was there. Granted he had remained asleep the whole day yesterday.

Astrid was sitting faithfully by his side, looking over his journal and reading the adventures he had been through since the day he left Berk. She herself had a thirst for adventure, and Hiccup had been living it for the last ten years. From the way he wrote he recollections, she could easily picture every colour, every atmosphere, every building, person, child, item— you name it.

"You should really get into writing." She said softly. She hoped that he could hear her.

"Drawing's more of his thing." She heard a voice. Toothless looked up while she turned around to see Mala leaning against the door frame and smiled lightly, giving fish to Toothless, who accepted it immediately. "How's he doing?"

"He's recovering well. Still hasn't completely woken up yet." She said, turning back to look at him.

"Where'd you get his journal?"

"I found it in the satchel on Toothless's saddle. Figured I might read through his many adventures. You and your people have had quite a lot of them, despite your peaceful life here on the Isle of Night." She smirked.

"If you were worried about the trouble we got in, don't worry. I made sure that we found them." Mala chuckled. She was glad to see her laugh at that as well.

"I'm glad this whole ordeal is over." She said, letting her hand fall on his while she lightly stroked it.

"I honestly should have suspected Dagur and Cutthroat from the start." Mala said, shaking her head.

"You know it's not your fault. Don't beat yourself up for it." Astrid tried to convince her.

"It's just that... they always threatened us, him or me to help "train" dragons. I should have realized that's what they were after the moment you two were discovered to be missing."

"And what happened to Alvin?"

"He's about to be put on trial by Stoick and the Hooligan Council." Mala replied.

"In the end, if it wasn't for him, Hiccup and I could be Thor knows where." She said with thankfulness.

"I know that. So does your chief. But, Alvin still has to pay for whatever crimes he has committed against Berk, the Archipelago, plus the aiding in the kidnapping of you and Hiccup."

"I know. It's just..." She didn't know where to go. Sure Alvin had kidnapped them and attacked countless islands when they first arrived on the Isle of Night, but if it wasn't for him turning against the Berserkers having his men release Toothless, Mala and the others arriving just in time to save them. "All I'm saying is he does deserve some leniency. After all, nearly all of his men died when he decided to turn against them."

"Maybe you're right. Also, I'm sure Stoick has factored that in so they might take it easy on him. I'll let you know the details." Mala said. She knew she wouldn't leave Hiccup's side, so he might as well keep her updated with the news going around the clan. "I have to return to my duties, update me on his condition?" Mala asked, Astrid nodded, the queen smiled and nodded, then left.