Chapter 13: Hope

(Hiccups pov)

I was tossing and turning in my bed, I was dreaming, of how my present self was living on Berk right now. I found myself in my old room, I looked at the drawings scattered across my desk, I heard rustling downstairs and took a look.

Stoick. The man who I once called father. I walked past him and left my former home, Berk was in shambles. Possibly due to the intensity of the dragon raids. I noted Gobber, pounding away at metal like there was no tomorrow, I smiled slightly, Gobber was more of the father figure in my life more so than Stoick. I spotted my smug little cousin Snotlout and his lap dogs; they were doing what they do best, preying on those different, and in this place, they were picking on Gustav Larson. I also noticed Astrid, watching Snotlout and his friends as they picked on Gustav, but she did nothing.

Those animals haven't changed one bit.

I don't know why I even hoped they'd be capable of change. But then again, change can be a very difficult thing, and for Vikings? They won't change when dragons are in the picture. They will kill all dragons and think that they'll be immortalized, but no, they'll be known for killing off amazing creatures.

Astrid was being praised with laurels, even being named "The Pride of Berk." I wonder how many dragons she's killed to earn such a pointless title, I inspect her head to toe. She's matured all right, no more baby fat, her braid is now over her shoulder, and she's dressed in her traditional spiked skirt and shoulder pads but her tunic is black and she has hood connected to her pads. When I was younger, I'd probably drool in lust at the sight of her.

But now?

I still love her.

Astrid was the girl I wanted. Who I still want. But how could she be with me? She's a Viking, an enemy to dragons. And I'm not a Viking and friend to all dragons. I groan in frustration, this is complicated.

I can only hope that Astrid will realize that she killing innocent creatures that are being forced to serve the Red Death. That monster needs to die so that dragons don't keep dying to both her and Vikings.

I pray to the gods that Astrid finds me and I can express myself to her. I hope. Sleep then consumed, with dreams of Astrid an ally to dragons and by my side.