Chapter 14: Regret

(Astrids pov)

My favorite axe slammed into a tree with enough force to kill a man. The blade of my axe lodged itself several inches inside the wood, but it wasn't deep enough to sedate my anger. I've been hurling my axe at this tree for hours as it not only sharpens my skills, but I find a form of release. But today was just wasn't cutting it. No amount of training would calm me down today.

I've been having terrible nightmares lately, of a certain auburn haired boy. When I found Hiccup with his Night Fury, everything about him soaring in the ranks in dragon training made perfect sense. But my jealousy got the better of me, he trusted me to keep his secret, and I caused him to be disowned and banished. Now, who knows where he is, when he left, he fired at us and the anger in voice was chilling to the bone.

I ran up to my axe and wrenched it out of the scarred tree, nearly popping a shoulder out in the process. I cared less about the pain; I turned and dropped into a forward tumble, before turning back to the tree and launching my axe once more. My clothes were drenched in sweat as I continued pushing myself to my limit, as I was using the opportunity to release my anger I was still training.

After I was satisfied with training for the day, I left the forest and made back to the village. Hiccup was right, this war isn't worth fighting for, I would want nothing more than to find Hiccup and beg for his forgiveness. I headed straight home because I was exhausted and was in no mood for company at the moment. I entered my home and was greeted by my parents.

I bid them greetings and rushed up to her room, I stripped every stitch of clothing off and found that a warm bath was waiting for me. As I entered the soapy warm water, I sighed in comfort, the water soothed my aching muscles and after thirty minutes I drained the water out of the bath and after eating dinner I bid my parents goodnight and went to sleep. But even in sleep, I was plagued by awful nightmares.

(Astrids dream state)

In my dream, I awakened to a dragon raid. But this raid was unlike anything I've ever witnessed. This wasn't a raid. It was a bloodbath. Death and destruction on a scale I've never seen before.

Every dragon rained down a storm of fire upon all of Berks people. We fought them off as best as we could but the dragons outnumbered and everyone in the dragons path was killed or burned to a fiery crisp. I stared in horror as a new dragon appeared. But this dragon was unlike anything I've laid eyes on. This dragon had six eyes, teeth the width of ships, and it hulking frame was enormous. It had blood red spines on it back and its head frill look like a crown.

That's when it all made sense. Hiccup was right, this monster controls the dragons to do its bidding. This thing is what sleeps in Helheim's Gate. This dragon stared directly at me, its look was murderous and it sent chills to my soul. It opened its mouth opened wide and I saw a cloud of green gas, that could only mean...

I ran and not a second later everyone was incinerated to dust, I hid behind a house to avoid the barrage of flames. I then heard the familiar shriek of the Night Fury, I looked up to see it hover just above this monsters head. I squinted my eyes to see Hiccup on his dragon and he carried a flaming sword and swung it circles above his head and then pointed toward me. "I GAVE ALL OF YOU A CHANCE TO MAKE PEACE WITH THE DRAGONS. BUT I SEE YOU ARE INCAPABLE OF FORGIVENESS, NOW YOU WILL ALL DIE!!" The monster rose to its full height and everyone scrambled for cover including me, but it was a fruitless attempt.

The beast unleashed another wave of fire and I watched as the flames consumed my family, friends and clan until nothing but ash remained, I tried to scream but the flames engulfed me and I felt my body being ripped apart, from the inside and outside, until I joined the dead and their ranks.

(Astrids pov)

I screamed and bolted up panting heavily and drenched in a cold sweat, I ran my hand through my loose hair and held my face in my hands sobbing at the darkness plaguing my mind. This could be the fate of my tribe if we continue to be at war with the dragons. And if that beast I saw in my Nightmare was the Dragon Queen, then we need the gods to fight by our side. I squinted as the sunlight hit my face, I growled and got out of bed, braided my hair, got dressed and went outside with my trusty axe in hand, time to release more anger.