Enough Is Enough

Shane didn't waste any time and began bolting toward them, and everyone followed. Daryl gave me a quick command to stay here but I didn't listen and began running beside Lori and her kids. By the time we reached the others, Carl was clutching his abdomen with a sour expression.

"These things ain't sick, they're not people!" I heard Shane yell and Daryl held the rifle up to one of the walkers. I jogged forward to him, ignoring Lori's call of my name.

"Marnie, get back!" Daryl snapped as the walker reached for me. I stumbled back, tripping on a stone and landing on my bottom but someone grabbed my biceps and pulled me up away from the walkers. It was Glenn.

"They're dead! Ain't got to feel nothing for them, 'cause all they do, they kill! These things right here, they're the things that killed Amy! They killed Otis! They're gonna kill all of us—" Shane continued yelling and I saw the look on Andrea and Patricia and Beth's face, feeling anger at the older man.

"Shane, shut up!" Rick interrupted as he struggled to keep control of the walker that was growling and reaching for us.

"Hershel, man, let me ask you somethin', could a living breathing person, could they walk away from this?" Shane asked as he got his pistol out, and aimed it at the woman walker, shooting it 3 times in the chest. I jumped at all three gunshots, the sound frightening. Everything was frightening at the moment and I just wanted everything to go back to normal.

"Stop it!" Rick yelled, but his pleas fell on deaf ears.

"That's three rounds in the chest, could someone who's alive, could they just take that?! Why is it still coming?!" Shane shouted as he shot it again twice.

Shane looked insane. His face was mad and eyes almost bulging from his bald head, mouth set in a deadly sneer. I didn't realise I had started crying until I felt the warm saltiness of my tears on my tongue.

"That's its heart, its lungs! Why is it still comin'?" he continued yelling like a mad man, shooting the walker a few more times. I didn't care enough to keep count.

"Shane, enough!" Rick screamed.

"Yeah, you're right man, that is enough," Shane replied in a low voice, raising the gun once more. I protectively brought my hands up to cover my ears, but it did nothing to muffle the awful sound. He had shot the creature in the head.

Everyone was silent as they tried to comprehend what just happened. Hershel sat next to the dead walker, as if it was one of his daughter's that just got brutally murdered. Shane broke the silence.

"Enough risking our lives for a little girl who's gone!" he yelled and I could hear Carol gasp from a few feet away. "Enough living next to a barn full of things that are trying to kill us! Rick, it ain't like it was before!"

Rick seemed to lose control of the walker that Daryl was aiming at still, and it spotted me and Glenn first and came charging at us.

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. I screamed and called for my brother, but my screams probably got drowned out by everyone else's. A thundering bang echoed and the walker fell to the ground with a thud.

"What the hell!" Daryl yelled angrily as he turned to Rick. Daryl saved me, he shot the walker.

The walker was motionless on the floor, a rotten and ugly smell radiating from it. Its cheeks were hollow and a lifeless grey colour, eyes open wide and a yellow mucus colour inside of them. The clothes were torn and unwearable.

"See that thing you think is sick, it just tried to kill a little girl! Now, if ya'll want to live, you want to survive, you gotta fight for it! I'm talking about fighting, right here, right now!" Shane shouted.