The Beginning Of The End

A little over 2 months had passed since the incident. Marnie was still in her coma. Daryl was slowly losing his sanity, and Merle just got himself high and drunk nearly every night.

Daryl was currently situated in his sitting room, on his father's chair. The small, 60's TV was on some comedy show, but Daryl wasn't paying attention to it, his mind was on his gold-hearted little sister.

Daryl Dixon rarely showed emotion, especially to strangers, but when his little sister was around, he broke into smiles and ruffled her light brown hair, often calling her 'baby girl' or 'darlin'. He had a close bond with his sister, closer than most, even if he didn't show it. He was protective of her.

"Breaking news," the TV show was interrupted with an emergency broadcast, "The anonymous sickness is now spreading more rapidly, and has reached America, and most of the world. Please, stay in doors and do not approach any hostile people. I repeat--"

The frantic broadcasting woman was interrupted when a sudden bony creature attacked her, biting into her shoulder. She let out an ear-piercing scream, as blood spluttered everywhere. More of the creatures piled into the office, and ate the woman alive, before the screen turned to static.

Daryl sat there, blue-eyes wide with confusion. He knew about the sickness, he couldn't not, since it was on every radio in the truck and on every TV, but he didn't put much thought into it, and wouldn't of done now, until Merle burst through the door, surprisingly sober.

"Pack yer things, baby brotha. We gotta go," said Merle, rushing past Daryl and grabbing equipment, "Now, Daryl! We ain't got all day!"

"The hell is goin' on?!" said Daryl, as his older brother shoved mostly weapons into the bag, before rushing outside where Daryl followed him. Merle's motorcycle was packed in the back of the red truck, and Merle chucked the bag in, before going into the shed.

"That sickness, hell, it's real and it's makin' people die and come 'live again, 'cept they ain't people then. They eat 'em, don't gotta mind of their own." said Merle, throwing the navy blue tent and shotgun into the bag, along with his stash which he attached to his motorcycle.

"You're covered in blood," Daryl noticed, "You kill someone? Got the cops after ya?"

"Fuck, Daryl, ain't ya listenin'?! We gotta go. I put one out, one of those thin's. It got Joey, tore right through his neck. I stabbed it, didn't do nothing, so I got its brain. It's gotta be the brain, Daryl." Merle said. Daryl now understood the situation and packed his little belongings, and despite being a protective big brother, he nearly forgot about Marnie until he spotted a picture she drew of him stuck on the wall. He made sure to grab Marnie's stuffed bear she's had since birth, Jingles.

"Go ta the hospital, get Marnie," said Daryl, climbing into the passengers seat. Merle wasted no more time, as those creatures roamed into the dirt yard.

Meanwhile, at the hospital, things were chaotic. Chaotic was an understatement. SWAT and army soldiers were running up and down the hospital, people, nurses, doctors, patients were panicking, while infected dead people, walkers, roamed the hallways, getting shot down by the soldiers, but not before biting some people.

Nurse Masterson was a lonely old woman, in her late 50's who planned on retiring this year. She had no family, no friends, and spent her days interacting with her patients. She was also the head carer of little Marina Dixon.

Nurse Masterson managed to get out into Marnie's room amidst the chaos, unharmed. Marnie was still in a deep sleep, but Nurse Masterson couldn't let her die by the soldiers. They'd shoot Marnie without a second thought. She lifted Marnie and her IV onto a gurney, and rolled her into the hallways where loose sheets of papers and dead bodies were. Nurse Masterson went into the staff toilets, which were empty. She placed the IV on the floor next to Marnie's gurney, before rushing out to get the medicine, but as soon as she stepped out, a walker bit her arm, and she heard one last gunshot, before falling to the ground with the dead walker, both of them blocking the staff toilets from the dead, and hopefully, the living.

[WORD COUNT: 728]