Big Brother Merle

After those words left Andrea's mouth, it went silent. The room we were in was dark, and the people had on worse clothes than us, not too bad though.

"I don't understand," stated Rick. The Hispanic came forward, forcefully guiding Rick to another room. The group followed, and Glenn held his hand out to me. I hesitated, but eventually took it, catching the last part of the Hispanic guy's sentence.

"--surviving. You know what the key to surviving is? Sneaking in and out, tiptoeing, not shooting up the streets like it's the O.K Coral!" we came into a clothes store area, where walkers were banging on the glass, growling.

"Every geek for miles around heard you poppin' off rounds," said another dark-skinned male.

"You just rang the dinner bell," added Andrea.

"Get the picture now?" said Hispanic guy.

One walker appeared and had a large stone in their rotten, bony hands. They repeatedly hit the glass, and cracks started to appear. Andrea mumbled under her breath in fear as we quickly evacuated to another room.

"What the hell were you doin' out there anyway? With a little girl no older than 6?" said Andrea, causing the group to turn to me.

"7," I whispered quietly, but they never heard me.

"Trying...trying to flag the helicopter.." said Rick.

"Helicopter? Man, that's crap, there ain't no damn helicopter," said the African American male.

"You were chasing a hallucination, imagining things, it happens," explained the African American female this time. I wondered if they were a couple for a split second but they didn't seem like the type for each other, but what do I know. I'm just a wimpy little girl.

"I saw it too!" I said loudly so they'd hear me, "It reflected off the skyscraper. I saw it."

"You must be dehydrated, here," said Glenn, handing me half a bottle of water. I drank it thirstily, and Glenn popped his head on my head. It was too big but it kept my head cool.

"Suits you better," he said, smiling slightly despite the situation. The others tried contacting others that they had at a camp.

"Got no signal, maybe the roof," said the African American male, T-Dog was his name, just as a loud gunshot rang out from above, the roof.

"Oh no, is that Dixon?" said Andrea, and they rushed to the roof. Dixon? It's a slightly common surname, plus it could be their full name and spelled differently, like Dickson. I followed after, expecting a random man called Dickson, but I was shocked at what I saw.

It was my brother. It was Merle.

I stood there frozen in happiness, but also mixed emotions. I hadn't seen Merle in..I don't know how long, and by the looks of the streets, it's been a few months at least.

"Hey, you ought to be more polite to a man with a gun," said Merle, not noticing me, "Only common sense."

"Merle!" I said, and his smile disappeared as he noticed me. I ran forward and he dropped the gun, picking me up, "Merle!"

"Marnie?" he said, shocked, "Hell...you're alive!"

Merle hugged me with his big rough arms, the arms I were used to. I hugged my little twig-like and dirty arms around his neck, as he tried to process I was alive, and vice versa.

"Merle, I thought I'd never find ye! Where's Daryl?" Merle put me down after our reunion hug. He ruffled my hair and picked the gun up again. It seemed we'd been hugging for seconds when we'd been hugging for at least 2 minutes.

"He's back at our camp, hell, ain't been the same since we thought y'all were dead...yer hospital room was empty, blood and a walker there...messy, shit, man." said Merle.

I liked Merle. He talked to me like I wasn't just a silly little dumb girl, and he let me curse, although, I didn't like to curse too much, but Merle says that's the way us Dixons speak. Daryl doesn't let me curse, he has a sense of responsibility like a father.

"You two know each other?" said Glenn.

"Hell yeah, this is my baby sista, ain't that right, pumpkin?" said Merle. I smiled slightly and nodded. The moment was ruined when T-Dog yelled.

"Man, you're wastin' bullets we don't even have!" he yelled.

"Hey, I just found out my lil sista's alive after 2 months and yer comin' 'ere giving me orders? Bad enough I got this taco bender on my ass all day, now I gotta listen to you? I don't think so, bro. That'll be the day." said Merle.

"That'll be the day?" repeated T-Dog, "You got somethin' you wanna tell me?"

"T, just leave it, man, it ain't worth it. Now Merle, glad you found your little sister, now relax, OK? We got enough trouble." said Hispanic guy. The others watched and I stepped backwards towards the edge of the roof, as Merle walked up to T-Dog's face, ignoring Hispanic man.

"You wanna know the day?" said Merle, "I tell you the day, Mr. Yo, is the day I take orders from a nigger!"

T-Dog lunged forward to punch Merle, but Merle dodged him and whacked him in the face with the butt of the rifle. They began fighting as Andrea cried for them to stop. Rick stepped forward but Merle punched him out of the way.

"Merle! Stop, please!" I begged, but my timid little voice got drowned out by the shouts of the others, by the shouts of people Merle wouldn't listen to.

I did the dumbest thing, and climbed on the edge of the roof, so they'd see me and hear me and stop, before T-Dog dies or someone shoots Merle. They all noticed me quickly, but Merle yelled my name loudly, and I suddenly fell from the roof.

[WORD COUNT: 973]