Falling Apart

Everyone froze.

I moved even closer to Daryl and Rory did the same to her momma. I wanted to keep moving, but the others seemed to stop and listen for anymore gunshots but there were none.

"What was that?" Lori asked dumbly.

"A gunshot," I said quietly, earning a shove from Daryl. Lori ignored me and turned to the others.

"Let's not worry about it, we have to keep moving. They'll catch up to us soon enough," said Andrea. Lori nodded hesitantly and we began moving again, and I felt Daryl whack me upside the head.

"What was that for?" I grumbled, rubbing the spot even though it didn't hurt.

"You bein' a smartass," he replied. "Ya don't speak out to anyone like that, 'specially not adults."

"I didn't mean to be rude, but it was a dumb question," I admitted as I kept walking beside Daryl. He wasn't even looking at me when talking, too busy keeping a look out ahead of us as he was leading.

"She wasn't askin' what it was in that context, jus' drop it now and make sure ya don't trip. There's probably some animal traps out 'ere." he concluded. I nodded and looked down.

Rory soon began complaining about various things such as her legs aching and she was tired and hungry and thirsty even after finishing off Lori's water bottle.

"I haven't got any food, Rory. We'll be back at the highway soon," assured Lori. Rory scrunched her face up, making it look a little ugly. I didn't dare say that out loud though.

"I have granola bars," I stated. I grabbed one and handed it to Rory who wasted no time in eagerly tearing the wrapper off, and dropping it on the floor for all to see.

"Rory!" scolded Lori, quickly picking it up and stuffing it into her pocket. "Say thank you to Marnie. I shouldn't have to remind you at this age, Rory."

"Thank you, Marnie," she mumbled, cheeks stuffed with the nutty snack. She kind of looked like a chipmunk until she began chewing and didn't close her mouth.

I turned away and opened my own granola bar, snapping it in half and handing Daryl the bigger one, even though I was really hungry. Daryl quietly thanked me and ate it in one go, while I nibbled on my and savored the taste.

A few more minutes past and Lori stopped, looking behind her in the direction we were walking in.

"Still worrying about it?" asked Andrea. Lori looked at her.

"It was a gunshot," she stated the obvious.

"We all heard it," commented Daryl. I saw Rory eyeing the piece of granola bar in my sticky hands, and knew it wouldn't be long before she asked to have some so I hurriedly shoved it in my mouth and chewed, avoiding her face.

"Why one? Why just one gunshot?" she asked. She was sweating and that make her face shine. She was more pale than usual and her eyes were wide. I felt as though I should of offered her a granola bar too.

"Maybe they took down a walker," replied Daryl. She shook her head.

"Please don't patronize me, you know Rick wouldn't risk one bullet to take down a walker. Or Shane, they'd do it quietly." she said in one breath.

"Maybe they caught a buck!" I offered unhelpfully, though Lori seemed to relax a little bit.

Daryl placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. "I don't think they'd be goin' huntin' at a time like this, Marnie. How would they even carry the thin'?"

"Shoulders," I replied in a whisper seeing as Lori looked fed up on the slight subject change.

"Shouldn't they have caught up with us by now?" asked Carol meekly, looking to Daryl for confirmation.