i've memorized every line on your fingertips

Y/N has been on this farm for a total of two minutes, and she already wants to kill herself. It's hot, it's quiet, it's dirty, and, worst of all? Cows fucking stink.

"Y/N!" Her grandmother, Margaret, appears from around the old, probably mouldy house, arms outstretched, approaching her. She looks just as old as she did when Y/N last saw her three years ago.

"Grandma!" She responds with noticeably less enthusiasm, giving her an awkward hug. Her grandmother doesn't seem to notice, giving a bone-crushing embrace in exchange.

"Your grandfather and I are so happy to have you here for the summer, darling." Margaret lets her go but holds her at an arm's length.

"Yeah, where is the old man?" Y/N raises an eyebrow, and Margaret gestures down the dirt road, where you can just make out a little, man-made, wooden stand. "Down at the stand, where you'll be working until you go back to California!" The brunette tries her best not to release the groan she feels suddenly inclined to sigh and nods. "God, I can't wait to do that!" Her grandmother doesn't seem fazed by the sarcasm.

Oh, Grandma, oblivious as always.

She slings an arm around her granddaughter's shoulders and leads her to the house, Y/N grabbing her suitcase and dragging it behind her.

"So, is there anything to do around here?" Y/N pretends to be joking around, although being completely serious. Margaret laughs all the same, holding the screen door open for her granddaughter.

"Of course!" She waves Y/N off with a dismissive hand. "There's tons of outdoors for you to play with, you can help garden, deer sometimes even stop by! You can feed them leftover scraps!"

Y/N nods slowly, raising her eyebrows, unimpressed. "Seems interesting."

"Oh, there's a reason so many people like to come out here!" Yeah, maybe to kill themselves. "Oh, there's a lake nearby, too!"

She nods, her interest slightly caught. She always liked swimming.

They stop outside a door on the second floor. "All right, darling here's your room. Make yourself comfortable and then we're having dinner; you must be starving after that long car ride!" The one dad sent me off on with three grocery bags full of shit.

"Oh, yeah definitely." With that, Margaret leaves Y/N to her lonesome, heading down the stairs to do God-knows-what. Y/N opens the door to her assigned bedroom for the summer, sighing deeply at the paisley walls and the floral... everything else. She falls back onto the bed, arms splayed, groaning. This summer is going to suck.

---

"Hi, you wouldn't happen to have any peaches?" Y/N nods, squinting as to protect her eyes from the hot summer sun. "Uh, yeah, we just picked some today." She's been here exactly two days, and today is her first day of working at the produce stand. So far, she has gotten a total of five customers; she doesn't think the stand is as popular as her grandparents seem to think it is.

"Great!" Exclaims the woman, who's holding a swollen, pregnant belly. One of those organic, new mothers, most likely. "I'll take a dozen of those, please. And a box of blackberries."

Y/N nods, filling a woven basket with peaches and putting a smaller one holding blackberries in it, and hands it to the woman. "Fifteen dollars, please."

The pregnant woman hands her the money and nods, walking off in the opposite direction. Once she's out of sight, Y/N sighs, leaning against the counter. She would rather be in school than be here, in the hot, dry country-side of Dalby.

Dalby.

Who lives in Dalby?

"Hey, Peter, I'm just here to pick up-" Y/N looks up to see a girl about her age standing in front of her, a look of slight confusion on her face. "You aren't Peter."

Y/N holds out her hands and shrugs as if to say, 'oh, well'.

"No, I'm not Peter, his granddaughter."

Her eyebrows draw together, but she doesn't seem too disappointed. The girl rests her forearms on the counter, leaning forward. "So, not-Peter-"

"Y/N."

"-Why are you manning the glorious produce stand?"

She sighs. "I got in trouble because my dad found a pack of cigarettes in my dresser, which wasn't even mine!" She rolls her eyes at the memory. Note to self; never let Lauren leave her boyfriend's shit at your house. "So, I'm stuck here for the summer."

"Well, that's not much of a loss on my part." The girl grins crookedly, and Y/N feels a jolt in her stomach. Is she flirting with her? "I'm Camila."

She sticks out her hand for Y/N to shake, and she takes it, shaking it somewhat awkwardly. "Nice to meet you, Camila."

"You too, Y/N." She nods, and there's an awkward silence as they hold contact on each other's eyes. It ends up being Y/N that breaks it.

"So, uh, what is it that you want?"

Camila snaps out of her daze, sitting up and nodding again. "Uh, yeah, just my regular order." She says, as if Y/N's supposed to know what her regular order is. She raises her eyebrows and Camila shakes her head, laughing. "Oh, yeah, you don't know what my regular order is. Um, six apples, six peaches, and two things of cherries."

She collects her order and puts it in the same kind of basket that she gave the pregnant woman earlier, handing it off to her. "Seventeen bucks, if you please."

"Of course." Camila pulls the money out of her back pocket, handing it to her. "See you next time, not-Peter." She turns on her heels, the basket tucked underneath her arms, and begins to walk down the dirt road.

"It's Y/N!" She calls after her with a small smile.

"I know!" She replies, and then she's gone.

The smile still plays at her lips as she stares at where the mystery girl just was. She feels annoyed, entertained, and intrigued, all at once. She doesn't know if she likes this Camila kid or not.

"Hello, dear!" A voice comes from behind Y/N, and she jumps, startled. The voice laughs as she spins around. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you!" Her grandmother chuckles, holding her hand over her chest. "I just wanted to check in on you on your first day on the job!"

Y/N gives a meek smile. "Oh, it was fine, didn't have any mishaps, really." Margaret nods.

"Well, that's good. Has Camila stopped by yet?" Y/N nods at the mention of the girl she just met.

"Oh, yeah, she was here, you just missed her."

Margaret nods again, looking down the road where Camila disappeared to. "What a nice girl. Sometimes helps us out at the farm, too! She's a regular around here, stops by every other day!" She meets eyes with Y/N and gives a wink. "She's not bad looking, either, is she?"

Y/N tries her best not to redden. "Urn, I guess?"

Her grandmother throws her head back and laughs, turning around. "Have fun for the rest of the day, dear, make sure you're back at the house by 5:30 for dinner!"

"Okay, Grandma." She mumbles, not even sure the elder heard her. Another day is done, two more months to go before she can go back home.

---

not proofread.