chapter 36

A/N

I don't know why, but I am so nervous for you all to read this chapter and the next one. I hope you all like it!

----

"Niall we have to talk. There is something about my life that I haven't told you." I look at the ground unable to look into the blue eyes I have become so fond of.

"Okay. Let's take a seat." I look up to see Niall walking over to one of the benches and sits down. He pats the spot next to him.

I walk over and sit down. I leave some space between us so I can turn towards him. I want to be able to see his face to read his every expression.

"Niall, when I first met you I was heartbroken. My family had turned their backs on me, because I valued myself and my happiness more than money. My parents had always planned on using me as a business deal. I would marry whoever offered my parents the most fortune. Chad's dad runs some company who makes medical machinery. Right now they are building a machine to make CT scans more efficient. The business deal was that once Chad and I were married the hospital would be the first to get the new CT scan machine. That's how it would go for every new machine as long as Chad and I were married." I glance at Niall and he looks concerned.

"I'm so sorry Charlotte." Niall places his hand on my thigh and I know that this could be the last time he touches me.

"So the pressure was on for Chad and I to get engaged. In July Chad showed up at my apartment looking like a wreck. He burst through the doors and he started apologizing. He kept telling me that he loved me and I was the most beautiful girl in the world, but he was sorry. He got down on one knee and pulled out a beautiful engagement ring. He looked me square in the eyes and I still remember every word he said." I take a deep breath and then repeat the words to Niall. "I'm sorry I screwed up. I love you so much. I was out with the guys and I ended up sleeping with another girl. It didn't mean anything. Will you marry me?' I remember staring at him in complete shock. Not only did he purpose, but he told me that he cheated on me. I had no clue what to do with that. I got up and left my apartment. For the next week I stayed at different hotels, so he couldn't find me. I then moved home for the summer. My parents were furious that I wasn't going to marry Chad. They thought it was fine that he cheated on me. 'Boys will be boys,' they said. I remember packing everything I owned into two huge suitcases and stumbling down the staircase with them at my parents' house. They were yelling at me, telling me how disappointed they were. They were cutting me off and I wasn't welcomed in their home ever again. I walked down that staircase with as much dignity as I could and I left." I pause to wipe my eyes. I hate that I'm crying over this. Niall brings his hand up to my cheek and wipes any tears that I missed.

"Wait, did he cheat on you, because you cheated on him." Niall removes his hand from my cheek. I shake my head no. "Charlotte, I need you tell me if you cheated on him."

"I never-" before I can finish my sentence Niall jumps up.

"All this time I thought you broke this jerk's heart, but in all reality he broke yours." Niall's face hardens. I nod yes, not knowing what to say. "You let me walk around for the last three months treating you horribly, why?"

"Niall, you just assumed I was the one who cheated. When I met you in that bar I was in a dark place. I was a borderline alcoholic, hadn't spoken to my parents in five months, and heartbroken. I didn't know if I was coming or going half the time."

"That doesn't explain why you let me be so mean. Tell me why you just let me push you around. The Charlotte I know wouldn't do that." Niall looks hurt.

"Chad had just shown up trying to control me and then you just assumed I was the cheater. Something in me snapped. By the time I had the chance to tell you the truth I had made up my mind. I wanted to teach you a lesson. I wanted to get close to you so you knew the real me so when you knew the truth it would tear you up. I wanted to make you feel worthless. I wanted you to see what it felt like to be me. I wanted you to feel horrible for judging me." I look down after I let the truth out.