Chapter 19

"I need to go get some fresh air. I will be back." I tell Zayn and Dawson. I look over at Chad as he watches me leave.

Sipping on my wine I walk to the backyard. Beautiful twinkling lights everywhere. It reminds me of Christmas. I let out a big breath and try to focus on this moment.

"Where is your boyfriend?" I recognize his voice instantly. Chad. I smile, because he followed me.

"He is getting a drink and hanging out." I say without hesitating.

"Good. We can catch up without him getting jealous." Chad takes a step towards me. He was never the subtle or patient type. I have no desire to kiss him, but it makes me feel better knowing that he still wants me.

I take a step back and say, "I can't. I'm dating Zayn."

"Does Zayn know that you have been sneaking around with a surgeon?" Chad raises his eyebrows at me.

"What surgeon?" I try to act clueless.

"Cut the crap. Dawson told me a couple weeks ago that you started seeing a surgeon. Why isn't he here? Why are you hanging all over Zayn?" Chad stares at me, but I don't know what to say.

"You want the truth?" Chad and I turn around to the voice coming behind us. It's Zayn and I smile. "Charlotte is dating a surgeon. She was worried about what her parents would think, so I am her trial run. She is getting her parents use to her never seeing you again. After she dumbed your sorry arse, she realized that there are still amazing men in the world. She decided that she could finally be happy. She doesn't have to be miserable or be stuck with a sucky person." Zayn pauses for a moment. "Lets go back inside." I will forever be grateful for Zayn thinking on his feet.

"Just give me a minute. I need to talk to Chad in private." I want to tell Chad off and tell him how awful he is, but I don't want to do that in front of Zayn.

As soon as Zayn walks back inside Chad starts talking. "Charlotte he is just using you. You have that good girl act going that guys love. You and I both know it's a lie. You would do anything to make a guy happy. You don't care about yourself at all. It makes you desperate and unattractive."

"You didn't seem to feel that way when you were begging me to forgive you and marry you. We also can't forget about you trying to kiss me a couple minutes ago."

"Don't be naive. My parents told me that I had to marry you. You are this trophy to every single family here. Who you end up with will be set for life. Your parents are the wealthiest family here. You are like royalty. I guess I should say were, because once you left no one wants you. I never wanted you. I was always so unhappy, but I dated you for my parents. You look so desperate right now that I thought it would be a easy hook up. You were always fun in bed." Chad looks at me with pity.

I take a step towards Chad and bring my hand up to slap him. I feel relief wash over me as my hand makes contact with his skin. Chad reaches out and grips onto my wrist. He pulls me towards him and kisses me. The kiss was full of lust and it made think of Niall and how different it feels to kiss him. I push Chad away and I take this as my opportunity to tell him off.

"No. You don't get to talk to me like this or make me feel worse about myself. I won't let you. Fine you never wanted to be with me. Let's just move on from this. I am dating an amazing guy, who actually wants to be with me. Go find a girl who you really want to be with." I turn to leave before Chad finds out that I'm lying. What Chad says really hurts. Everything he said was true. Niall will never date me and he will just use me.

Chad yells out, "that guy will leave you and when he does don't come back to me. I don't want you."

I walk back into the house and try to find Dawson. I run into my mother instead. She grabs my arm and stops me in my tracks to get a good look at me.