Chapter 19: The Harder Right Than The Easy Wrong

David's POV

Morning came, I decided to get up at 6:15 since i could get ready and "look around" the house to see if I can look at some pictures to tease Mayra about. I made the bed, washed my face, got ready and looked around. Before I could go further, I heard footsteps coming from upstairs. It was officer Dominguez and his son. They both left and drove off. I then looked around and decided to go to Mayra's room. I went upstairs and I found her room. It was the color purple and it looked nice and neat. She has regular sized flat screen tv and some posters of the band Social Distortion and Selena the Hispanic singer. I looked at the wall of pictures and I saw her and Miguel, kissing, hugging, and smiling at each other. I also saw pictures of her and her girl friend, taking lots of selfies, making funny faces and hugging. Mayra looks so adorable in these photos. I went to her desk and I saw her journal. Would it be bad if I read one of her pages? I looked through and I decided to go to the last thing she wrote, which was not too long ago. It was a week before I kidnapped her, it said:

November 28, 2015

Today was a good day. my bestie, Adriana and I decided to go to the library together to apply for college. I wanted to become a counselor for kids when I grow up. I've always loved children. They have that special light and I know that now a days, they have bad role models, I don't want to be one of those role models where it is okay to do everything they want. I want to change kids lives to help them grow and be more independent and to always work hard.
I've noticed some kids families are broken, some who are adopted, and some who only have 1 parent. I want to help them have a better life and to encourage them to work hard but to work smart.

That was all I read. I'm one of those kids, who has a single parent, (who's in jail) and I've always had big dreams but always wanted to get the easy way out. And then I saw a quote on her wall that says,
"May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong."
I really love that quote and I decided to take it with me. I went downstairs and decided to wash the dishes. After when I was done, mrs. Dominguez came in all dressed up for work.
"Good morning David!" She said.
"Good morning mrs. Dominguez. How are you this morning?"
She smiled. "Very good, what time are you leaving? And did you just do the dishes?"
"Yes, I did the dishes to show gratitude because I appreciate for all that you've done for me."
"Ugh, Thank you so much." She groaned but smiled.
"No problem, I'm on my way out right now." I said.
"Here let me make you some breakfast before you leave."
I was stunned. "Oh no, don't worry about it. I can always get something at McDonald's or something." I said as I was writing a note.
"Are you sure?" She asked.
I nodded. "I'm positive. You've done enough for me."
She smiled. "Can I at least give you a ride over there."
I shook my head. "That won't be necessary, one of my friends is going to pick me up." I lied. I pretended I got a message from Chris. "Well, it looks like they're here. Thanks so much again mrs. Dominguez and good luck on finding your daughter."
She smiled. "Be safe when you get home." She called out. I nodded.
"By the way I left a note for you and your family. If you need anything give me a call." I said.
She nodded, "we will. Thank you!"
"Bye!" I called. I walked to one of the streets and went inside my car and drove off.
I pondered a lot about the Dominguez family. They're such a sweet family. They have something special that my family didn't have. My mom passed away when I was a baby. I'm an only child, and my dad took care of me until when I was a junior in high school. That was when he went to jail. Like I said, I live by myself, I got a job that pays me okay, none of my families came to see me graduate. It was tough. I don't know why, but I think I'm developing feelings for Mayra.

Ruben sr.'s POV

I run into detective Richter, asking if there were any more news he had found.
He nodded, "I found out the name of this kid who may have taken your daughter."
I was shocked, "who kidnapped Mayra?"
"I'm not too sure, but the way how Leonard described this person may be the person I think he may be." He explained.
"Who?!" I asked demanding an answer.
"His name is Daniel Evans."