Part 11 "Siberia"

"Can I ask you something?" Leslie asked, sipping the coffee she had gotten. They had been waiting for Mr.Evans to come out for 5 hours straight, and he was still in surgery. She had slipped out to get a drink for both of herself and Harry.

"Sure." Harry replied, drinking from his cup as well. He had been busy dealing with the press and both the accident. The explosion caused more damage than he had originally thought, which meant that it was going to take more time to ensure a safe working environment for the workers. He rubbed his face with his hands, as tiredness swept towards him like a tide.

"How did you know that Mr.Evans didn't have any family members?" Leslie asked, seeming a little guilty when she saw how tired Harry was. But her curiosity got the upper hand. 

Harry sighed. "Becuase I knew him since he was young." Leslie stared at him as if pursuing to go on. 

"When my dad was still the CEO of the company, he made sure we do volunteer work at the nearest orphanage at least once a month. We usually visited twice if we could help it. That's when I met Edward. He was just this little kid who had potential. His grades weren't bad and He told me that he didn't want to go to college since he didn't have enough money for it. So I offered him to be my secretary while taking night classes which I'd pay for. He agreed, and here we are." Harry said, taking another drink.

"But you are so harsh on him at the office.."Leslie started to say but soon closed her mouth.

"I am not harsh on him. I'm a little...Okay. I might be a little hard on him." Harry said.

"A Little? You made him alphabetize all the folders and made him run down 20 floors and up again on stairs when the elevator wasn't working just so you could get a purple pen." Leslie said, disbelief in her eyes.

Harry looked shameful. "Yeah, That really might have been hard on him." 

"So what's the reason behind all of this? Surely you picked him out of all the kids in the orphanage because you liked him the best?" Leslie asked, frowning.

Harry sighed once more. "The office life is more complicated and harsh than it seems. The moment you step into the door, people judge you. What clothes you're wearing, What school you graduated. Edward was a high school graduate, and everyone could see that he didn't have much experience on the field. He was employed through connections. Through me. That was enough for the workers to hate him. I had to show them that I wasn't going to treat him any easy just because I hired him. That made the workers get off Edward's back. If I didn't, the sneering, the bullying...Edward wouldn't have lasted a week before he got hurt."

Leslie pondered this. "Still. The purple pen incident was ridiculous."

Harry smiled. "Evans had spilled his coffee on the printer that day. I wasn't going to let him off easy."

Soon enough, they were smiling a little, sharing the mistakes they have seen Edward doing at the office. 

"Look!" Leslie said, jerking up and pointing the screen. Harry stared at the screen and jumped up as well. Edward's surgery was finally over. Harry only hoped that Edward would be okay now that his surgery ended. 

The surgery room's door slid open, with a couple of nurses wheeling the stretcher with Edward lying on it.

"Edward Evan's guardian?" A nurse said as she started wheeling him to the elevator.

"Here." Harry said as Leslie followed close by.

"The patient will be staying in the intensive care unit. We are going to wheel him in, and you have to wear a disinfected overgarment and a mask. And only one person could come in with us." The nurse explained as she pressed the button to the 5th floor.

Harry and Leslie nodded as they watched the nurses wheel Edward in the intensive care unit.

Harry yanked his hair. "Edward's state must be critical if he is in the intensive care unit."

Leslie shook her head. "It wouldn't be long till he is moved to a regular ward. I'll be waiting out here. Don't worry about me and take as long as you need."

Harry nodded and briefly squeezed Leslie's hand as he went to the nurse to get his mask and disinfected overgarment. Leslie sat on the couch and called her little brother, Lucas. It has been ages since she heard his voice.

"Lee!!" Lucas answered brightly. Leslie could almost imagine him smiling his goofy grin.

"Hey, you little booger. How have you been?" Leslie asked.

"Wow. We haven't talked for 2 weeks and now we're basically strangers? What's up with the awkward question?" Lucas chuckled.

"Well, I really want to know how you have been those 2 weeks. How's school? How's grandma and grandpa?" Leslie started to ask. She had a thousand things to ask him, but it would probably smother him.

"School's fine. Same old same old. Grandma and Grandpa are well...you know how they are." Lucas winced. Leslie winced as well. She exactly knew what Lucas meant. Her grandparents were still in their honeymoon stage. Whenever they were alone...Well, let's just say that it's no picnic. All the affection and love in the air was too much for a teenage boy to handle alone. Leslie almost felt pity for Lucas.

"Sorry, toots. You know I wouldn't send you to them unless it was necessary. I mean I love them but they kinda make me sick with all the sick puppy lovey gooey stares they share." Leslie gagged as Lucas gave a hmph.

"It's not fair! I'm perfectly fine living alone while you work!" Lucas whined.

Leslie scoffed. "Yeah right. You almost flooded the place last time when I left you alone. And where are you going to stay? All of our stuff is in Grandpa's garage."

"I was 9 years old then! I'm 18 years old now. We could, I don't know, get a new place with a low rent." Lucas pouted.

Leslie laughed. "We need to save up for your college tuition for now. The least money we spend, the better."

Lucas sighed. "I guess. I was just joking about the house. I don't mind living with grandma and grandpa. Just tell me that you aren't killing yourself out there just for me."

Leslie's smile dropped. "You don't need to worry about me, Lucas. You know what? I might be able to buy you the laptop you always wanted."

"What? You're serious?" Lucas screamed into the phone, full of excitement.

Leslie felt her heart warm as she heard Lucas's laughter. The kid was so mature and understanding. 

"Yeah. I know it's hard to live with our grandparents, even though you say that you don't mind it. Just a few months. Just a few months and you'll be out of there." Leslie said. 

"Hey, Don't forget to call me this time. If your boss is a dick to you, tell me. I'll go kick him in the ass." Lucas said.

"Nah. I think I'm fine." Leslie smiled as she saw Harry step out of the ward. 

"I have to run. Love you." Leslie quickly ended the call as Harry started to walk towards her.

Harry tensed as he heard Leslie end the call. Love you? Did she have a boyfriend? Of Course, she had a boyfriend. His stomach lunched as Leslie's dimple showed as she ended the call. He had to do so much to see that tiny dimple appear on her face, but this person could do it miles away, just with a phone call.

"It's late. The driver is waiting for us. Let's go." Harry said icily as he ignored Leslie's smile disappear in an instant.

"Umm...How is Mr.Evans doing?" Leslie asked, trying to break the ice when they were sitting side by side at the back of the vehicle. Harry ignored the question, pointing at his Bluetooth earphone and talking loudly with the opponent.  

Leslie sighed. What could have made her boss so icy all of a sudden? She hadn't done anything wrong. He was fine till he went inside the ward. Did something happen in there?

It was like she was standing right in the middle of Siberia. When they arrived home, Harry didn't spare her a backward glance till he marched into his room, slamming the door shut.