"Babysitting? Evan, I love you, honey, but you can't even order take out for yourself when I'm at work."

"I'm g-getting better." Evan defended. He'd called for Connor that one time, and everything was fine.

"I know you are, sweetie." She gave him a pitying look and he felt himself growing angry. "I know, but I just don't think it's a good idea. I don't think you're ready."

"Mom, I'm seventeen. Seventeen-year-olds have jobs."

"Yes, but you're not a normal seventeen-year-old, you--"

Evan's face fell and Heidi stopped herself.

"Oh, Evan, that's not what I meant, I'm so sorry." Evan stood up, shaking his hand from her grasp. "Evan, please, I didn't mean...that's not..."

"It's f-fine." Evan said, trying not to cry. He kept his back to her. "I'm g-going to bed. I'm p-pretty tired."

"Evan, please, can't we talk?"

"We j-just did." He said, voice thick. He walked into his room and shut the door, turning the lock on his door. He plopped down on his bed and let the tears fall.

His own mother didn't think he was capable enough of doing something right. She thought he was a little baby who still needed taking care of, that there was something wrong with him.

Evan sniffled and sat up, trying to turn his sadness into anger. That would be easier to manage. He sent a quick text to Connor, then grabbed his backpack, which his mom had put in his room earlier. He dumped all the school stuff out of it and packed it for an overnight trip.

He picked up an envelope from the mess of papers and books, which he was going to leave a mess on his bed, and opened it. It was his paycheck for the month. Mrs Murphy had given it to him before he left their house earlier. Inside was more money than he had ever seen in one place in his life.

He closed the envelope and grabbed his bag, flinging the door open and marching down the hall. His mom was sitting on the couch with her head in her hands.

"Evan!" she said when he appeared in the doorway. He took the envelope and threw it down on the coffee table. She picked it up, curious.

"Evan, what is this?" She gasped, looking at all the money.

"It's my first paycheck, f-from my job." He said.

She looked at him.

"Wh-what?"

"I already got a job. I've had one this whole time."

"I'm confused..."

"I hid it from you because I thought you'd think I wasn't ready or capable." He said, a tear falling down his face. He brushed it aside. "I lied to you because I wanted to surprise you, because I thought you'd be happy for me. Instead, you said what I feared you might-- you didn't believe in me. Turns out I can do it." He sobbed, but took a steadying breath. "You can take it. I hope it helps."

"Wh-where are you going?" She asked as he walked out the front door. He closed it behind him without answering. He was too angry. She should have believed in him. He was her son, aren't mothers meant to believe their kids can do anything?

He heard the door open behind him so he started running, ignoring her pleas for him to come back. He wouldn't go back there tonight.

Once he was far enough away that he was certain she wouldn't factcheck up to him, Evan pulled his phone from his pocket. Connor had answered.

"Of course you can come over, is everything all right?" and then another text, "Evan, answer me, what's wrong?"

Evan put his phone away, he was close enough to the Murphy's house that he could just tell him in person when he got there.