Chapter 1

I woke up screaming in the back of a dinghy old ally, out of breath and sweaty, my skin still burning from the fake senses of a dream. Every night that memory haunted me. The guilt of it gnawing at me, threatening to eat me alive.

The ally was dusty and damp, with something ghastly oozing from the walls, wreaking of something evil...
It was still early enough that the sun hadn't shown it's face yet, leaving a few street lamps as the only source of light.

I looked down at my ruined dress that was ripped and riddled with grime, a pale blue sun dress turned tan... Much to my disgust.
My hair was even worse. Caked with mud, uneven and matted in places. Over the months I've become nothing but skin and bone from lack of food.

None of this would hold me back. I would die before I gave up looking for him. There is a rumor that The Earl of Phantomhive has returned that's made it's way around London, that gives me hope.

The only problem was... I had no idea how to get back to the manor... Not many people are willing to talk to someone who looks like they've never bathed in their life.. I didn't have any money to stay in an inn so I've been living on the streets.

I preferred to wander when no one was ever really out, early in the morning where no one would see me. I wasn't to far from a dense forest so I decided to head there first remembering there was a road that lead through a forest straight to the manor, I just had to find it.

I stuck to the shadows trying to make myself disappear as much as possible. Listening to the sleeping sounds of London, the humming of street lamps and the rustle of trash being tossed around in the street by the wind. I was soon lost in thought.

I had heard that both Vincent and Rachel Phantomhive had died in the fire, but their 10-year-old son Ciel's body was never found.
Though according to the rumors he had returned. I just had to find him.

I was so deep in my thoughts I hadn't noticed the young boy calling out to me.

" 'ey! Are ye lost? Watcha lookin' fer?"
He called running up to me. His clothes were worn and tattered, patches sown on here and there. I saw he was carrying a bag full of newspapers, which would explain why he was out so early.

"Would you happen to know how to get to the Phantomhive manor?" I asked doubting he would know.

"Ah! Mi grandpa passes by it on 'is way back to tha city! I'll go get 'im.." I he said excitedly darting back into a small house, coming back a few minutes later with a very grumpy looking old man.

"What is all the ruckus about?! Wakin' me up before the suns even shinin'?" The old man grumbled squinting at me in the dim light.

"I told ya! This lady is lookin' for the Phantomhive manor! Ye pass it all tha time don' cha?" The boy pleaded tugging the mans sleeve.

"Now why would you need to find the Phantomhive manor?.." The man asked me giving me a look of suspicion.

"I worked for The Phantomhives as head maid and caretaker of their young son Ciel. On the night of the fire I ran to my masters rescue forgetting their son who I had just tucked into bed, The Earl saved me, believing his wife and child had already made it out and were waiting for me... His last order was for me to find them, and that is my mission." I explained giving a brief summary. Something in his eyes told me he believed me.