Chapter 21

"I'm sorry darling did I wake you?" I heard as my eyes fluttered open slightly, I wasn't awake enough to give any more of an answer than a slight whine as I stretched and closed my eyes again, beginning to drift back to sleep. 

Sebastian always got up earlier than me, especially since I'd been sleeping better. I felt him very gently caress my cheek, placing a delicate kiss on my nose. Proceeding to stroke my hair until I fell back asleep.

~*~

When I had woken up officially and readied myself for the day, I made my way down to the kitchen. Upon entering it looked like Sebastian had already handed out tasks for the day. Mey-rin was gathering dish towels and tossing them in a laundry basket, Bard carrying in a crate of eggs and Finny bringing in two sacks of flower. While Sebastian prepared the morning tea.

"Ah! Good morning my dear!" He said almost cheerfully.

"Sebastian!" I said in a hushed tone, my face turning beet red. "Not around the others!" I scolded in the same tone.

"The young master hasn't given any orders to hide it.. So I don't see a problem in it." He said, flashing me a sweet smile.

A week had passed since Ciel had revoked the order he had given Sebastian. All was peaceful in the Phantomhive manor..

"Would you like to wake the young master?" Sebastian asked me, pushing the tea cart in front of me. I nodded and took the tray, taking my leave.

~*~

I opened the curtains, earning a whine of protest from the lump under the covers.

"Lo.." He groaned, a plead to let him sleep more.

"I can't let you sleep in again.. Sebastian will have my head.. Come on wake up!" I said patting the covers, beginning to pour his tea.

"Aren't you his girlfriend now..? Can't you just tell him to piss off..?" He grumbled turning over to face me.

"Aren't you his master? Can't you?" I said raising an eyebrow, holding his cup out to him. He slowly sat up, taking a cautious sip and sighing. "Sebastian will be up in a minute to get you dressed.. Don't let me find out you went back to sleep.." I warned.

~*~

"He's ready for you." I said as I re-entered the kitchen.

"Ah, perfect!" He said, making his way to the door and planting his lips on my cheek in the process. Though, in that moment something made him freeze.. He brought his hand to entangle the hair behind my neck gently, bringing his lips to mine in a soft, yet passionate kiss. "Your thoughts are running amuck my love.. I can hear them.." He said in a low voice.

"Well it not my fault you won't answer any of my questions.." I whispered back, meeting his eyes. I pleaded with him internally.. I wanted to know so badly.. All of these fragmented memories and I had no clue what they meant.. But I knew he knew.. So why was he hiding it?

He sighed, tearing away his gaze, his eyes meeting the skin of my collar bone. "The mark.. The raven.. You assumed correctly.. I did give you that mark.. You had given me one as well.. Thorns that wrapped around my third finger.." He removed the glove from his left hand, showing me his third finger, that was void of said mark.

I opened my mouth to question him but he interrupted me, stepping back from me to walk around the kitchen, tidying things to keep himself from having to look at me.

"Demons do not marry.. Though, we do mate for life.. Which as you may or may not know, is a very long time.." He began to explain slowly, almost as if it was painful for him to say this.

"And.. we.." I started to speak, my mind starting to race again.

"Yes.." He said, his voice at a low whisper. His body was stiff, his head hung below his shoulders.

"But.. If we.. Then.. Why are the marks not there anymore? What happened to them?" I asked, the reality starting to sink in, fear was welling up inside me, what could have happened.. to break an unbreakable vow..?

"I.. I had to erase them.. To explain it simply.. A vow is unbreakable amongst high order entities, but it is easily weakened by impure blood.. Your blood isn't entirely demon.. So our vow was much weaker.. With the right amount of power I was able to break it.." He was speaking to me.. But his mind was elsewhere, somewhere remembering something I had no way of knowing.. It was so painful for him.. And I was scared..

"But why.. Why would you?" My mind was racing through reasoning, determining best and worse scenario and everything in between..

"I was trying to keep you safe.. You wouldn't listen.. You weren't strong enough.." He sounded angry now.. His knuckles were turning white as he clutched to the rim of the sink..

I had so many questions my mind wouldn't allow me to figure out which one to ask.. I wanted to ask them all at once..

"You are everything to me.. Luis.. If I were to lose you.. Because I didn't do everything in my power to protect you.. I.." He was trembling, his eyes were locked straight ahead, dry.. But filled with emotion. "I know soon you'll come to resent me but-"

"That's enough for now.." I interrupted as I snaked my arms around his waist behind him, the sudden second of stiffness let me know he had fallen back to reality, relaxing in my arms. He let out a small sigh. "I do have one question though.." I added, resting my head against his back.

"Yes my love.." He whispered, placing one of his hands on the back of mine.

"Would you ever make that vow with me again?" I asked, almost scared of the answer.. He hesitated.

"Are you sure..? Even before knowing the whole truth..?" He asked, his head hanging again.

"Yes.." I said simply.

"Nothing could make me happier my love.."