Chapter 8

Dedicated to AnnaBear_4

Damn! Heknowsheknowsheknows!

Calm down! Don't panic! Deep breaths!

Okay, okay, okay....

Blast, blast and double blast and all fireworks! He bloody knows!

Deep breath...fine...

I looked at him, or to be precise gave him this creepy, eerily calm smile, putting on a calm facade for now. He returned it, victory and amusement sparkling in his steel blue eyes.

The most important question now was: accept it or deny it?

Think, Lilly, think...

Finally I settled on the Ambrosian kind of answer. None. Wasn't silence the best answer?

Both of us stood there silently glaring at each other, his eyes glinting dangerously, while I refused to look away, challenging him to dare spread word about Mr. Ambrose hiring a female. Finally, Captain Carter approached us and put his hand on my arm, but I did not turn my eyes away from the blond haired individual in front of me.

"It is quite late, my Lord, and I and Ms. Linton here would like to take your leave now." Even though his words were respectful enough, his manner of speaking made it clear enough that he held no respect for him.

Dalgliesh finally looked at Captain Carter, and I did a victory dance in my head, my glare turning into a grin directed at the Captain.

"Of course, Captain." Turning to me, he gave his fake smile, which he must have excelled over the years of hate for Mr. Ambrose and pretending he was a gentleman, while he tried to kill Mr. Ambrose and me. "Ms. Linton, do tell your brother that we shall meet soon. With the file."

Huh? Didn't he already have the file? Just how many files was Mr. Ambrose hiding from me? That...that chauvinist piece of useless granite! He'd better start digging his own grave! Once I'll get my hands on him, I'll...I'll...

Kiss him senseless?

Ye-No!

"Oh, I'll tell him, no doubt, but I don't think he will want to meet you anytime soon."

"Leave that to me, Ms. Linton. Goodnight. Captain." Smiling threateningly at me, he turned to one of his guests who had been approaching him, and I scowled at his retreating figure.

"Let's go, Ms. Linton." I turned and followed the Captain out of the ball room, and to the gate in silence, fuming at the blond Lord, who had the audacity to threaten me, twice! The nerve of that man!

I was praising myself for the ability to not slap him in public or perforate him with my sharp parasol when my hands had been absolutely itching to, so I did not notice that Captain Carter had stopped walking and bumped right into him, nearly losing my balance.

He turned towards me, looking deep in thought. "You know Lord Dalgliesh?"

"Unfortunately. He's an old aquaintance." And my biggest enemy.

Actually, not yours. Your employer's.

Yes, I know, but its the same thing.

Really? And why is your employer's enemy your own enemy? Because you consider him as your...friend, perhaps?

Of course not. That semi human machine did not have any friends at all. The words Ambrose and friend did not even fit together in the same sentence.

"One who has been foolish enough to invoke your disapproval. I'm surprised he is still standing on his two feet, and nursing wounds made by a sharpened parasol." Captain Carter gave his cheerful smile, but that did not erase the curiosity about the tense atmosphere between I and Lord Dalgliesh.