Chapter 2

Dedicated to Royalwoods441

"Mr. Ambrose." I repeated myself, annoyed that he was ignoring me, again.

"What is it Mr Linton? Don't just stand there and waste my time. Knowledge is power is time is money, don't you know?" His pace quickened as he did not even bother to look up while talking to me.

My temper flared. Did he not even consider me important enough to look at me while talking? Then, I would show him 'important'.

"I remember. It is quite hard to forget when your bloody miser of an employer keeps on reminding that again and again." His rude attitude towards me everytime was getting on my nerves, and one of these days, I was going to directly punch the block headed chauvinist in the face. Or even whack him in the head with a parasol. Or any method that can shut him up effectively.

Even pressing your mouth to his? Like you did in Egypt? With all of him holding y-

No, of course not. Get that blasted thought out of your mind and come back to the point. Concentrate, Lilly. You need answers.

"What is in this missing file of yours, so important that someone was attacked for it? And how does Mr. Philip know about it? And why did you not tell me about-

"It is none of your business, Mr. Linton. Also stop evesdropping on my conversations by standing behind the door.Now go to your office and bring me file 409V82." That...that son of a blasted bachelor! How dare he? First of all, he cut me off, and secondly,did not even answer even one of my questions! Folding my hands,I leaned on my left leg and narrowed my eyes. Giving him the best cold glare I could muster, I looked into his stormy eyes and opened my mouth to reply as he stopped pacing. His cold glare was enough to lower the temperature of the room below Arctic temperatures at night.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I mustered my scattered courage and spoke,"I bloody hell won't until you answer my questions!" My anger and curiousity had reached its peak. What was in that file, so important that he refused to answer? And what did he think I was, his slave to do his work silently and willingly? Bah! I would have thought that he might have learnt his lesson with so many past occurences, but this stubborn man refused to give in! Well then, two can play at this game.

"Respect, Mr. Linton. And I am not obliged to answer any of your questions. Now cease this pointless conversation immediately and get me file 409V82." Before I could give him another no, his eyes narrowed by 0.00028 inches, and nearly gave me a frostbite. His little finger twitched, not once or twice, but thrice against his sides. If looks could kill, then I would have been dead meat 20 feet below the ground already.

"Now." The lone word was dangerous enough to make me almost turn about and leave, before I regained control of my limbs and took long, deep breaths to calm myself. Counting to 10, I reminded myself that he was my employer, no matter however chauvinist and hard headed, and it would not benefit me in any way if I would bash in his head or contemplate his murder by various means, since he was the one who signed my paycheck every month. Money which will give me my freedom.

What was his problem with me? After all, I was only asking him about the contents of a seemingly very important file, for which a messenger had been attacked and the file stolen. Right, there was absolutely no reason for him to snap at me or order me out of the room. But perhaps he had forgotton how stubborn I could be.

I glared at him once again while he responded with one of his finest quality glares and . Oh, so did he want a glare competition, then he would get it! Anything, as long as I got my answers!

I tried it for the last time." Mr. Ambrose, I only want to know wh-"

"No, you cannot know what is in that file. Now stop bothering-" This time I cut him off by storming towards him and swinging my fist in the direction of his chiselled granite face, and not so surprisingly, he caught my wrist with ease. Again when I made an attempt to punch him square in the face, he firmly gripped my other hand too, quite easily, to my annoyance and leaned in. Only when his face was inches away from mine, did he choose to speak.

" For the last time, I am repeating myself; you cannot know what is in the file, so stop wasting precious time and energy and get me the file."

I ignored the butterflies in my stomach from how close he was standing to me and how I would love to taste those soft lips of his on mine and-

No!Bad Lilly! Do not think about his lips, or any part of him, for that matter! Concentrate. You are angry with him and you want answers!

Oh, yeah. "But why won't you tell me?" I tried to pull back my hands, just in case he gave a useless, blasted answer and I felt like whopping him in the head, but he had got a very strong grip on them, I suppose. But when I heard his answer I definitely regreted not having my hands to myself.

" Because the information is dangerous for an irresponsible person like you, and I'd rather not put yo- a person of the female gender in danger." How..how dare he? How dare he imply that just because I was a female, it meant that I was not strong enough to know dangerous information? How dare he imply that I, or for that matter, all females were weak? And all that after I had been by his side through all kinds of dangerous situations? In Dalgliesh's lair in France? On the sinking ship in the Chanel? With the bandits in Egypt? Or during the tribal war in the Amazonian jungle?

"How dare you say that? How dare you imply that I am weak and irresponsible, that I cannot know information just because I am a female? You....bloody chauvinist, block headed, miser, son of a blasted bastard! You better tell me what is in that blasted, bloody file of yours! And don't you ever judge me as weak, you..." I nearly exhausted my Portuguese and Arabic curse words' vocabulary, and mind you it was quite extensive, thank you. And all the time, he stood simply as if unable to hear the profanities or the questions thrown at him, and it was only when I paused for breath that he spoke,

"Are you done, Mr. Linton? You have already wasted 14.38 minutes, so unless you want to be fired, get back to work, or rather seeing that it is already 8 pm, leave." As if on cue, the bell tolled at the next instant, signifying the end of my work hours.

"You...you..." I had to admit, even I was out of any more creative profanities. How could he just disregard me like that?My blood boiled in fury and my legs moved of their own accord to repeatedly stamp upon his feet, but to my utter dismay and annoyance, he did not even flinch. Instead he simply pushed my kicking and flailing self to the nearest wall and trapped my legs with one of his, while holding both of my wrists in his firm grip.

He watched me struggle in his arms with a hint of amusement in his unusual, not-so-cold sea green eyes, and for one delusional moment, I imagined that a corner of his lips tugged in an upward movement. But soon his cold expression, or rather, lack of expression, returned to his chiselled face as he spoke.

"Mr. Linton, unless you are willing to work overtime, without pay, of course, you should leave now." His words had a tone of finality to them, and so, I, Lilly Linton, a proud, independent feminist, unwillingly, temporarily, gave up the battle for information, but only for now. After all, no sane person would want him to raise his voice, now, would they?

"Fine." I scowled at him as he released me from my very comfortable prison...

Nonono, suffragist...feminist... remember? Oh, yes, a very uncomfortable position, befitting no respectable lady and...

But you never said that you were ever a 'respectable lady' of any kind, did you?

Oh, shut up. And remember, this is only the battle which has been lost, the war is yet to come...

--------------------------

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

50+ reads in 3 days?! Thank you so much for such an overwhelming response! Keep reading and voting like this, and I'll probably update every other day!
On another note, do you want me strech out the story a bit, or keep it short? Do tell me, I'm eagerly waiting for your replies!
P.S. DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT!