Chapter 18

Warning: Kinda sorta filler chapter ahead, but I need to fill the gaps and close some topics. Thanks for reading!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I put the pen down and stretched my arms. Finally! I was done! I went over the result of my hard work of the past hour in front of me once again and made sure everything was just as it should have been, an evil smile spreading over my lips as I replaced everything according to my arrangement.

There. Dalgliesh will always regret his sorry ass for underestimating Lillian Linton. Part one of the plan was done. Now for part two.

"Mr. Ambrose!" I knocked on the door twice, ignoring the silence that followed. "Open the goddamned door, will you?"

Silence again.

"This is important!"

I took out my pocketwatch and looked at the time. Blast! I was going to be extremely late if I didn't make a run for whichever ball Aunt had seen fit to torture me tonight, and he was horribly delaying me!

"MR. AMBROSE! Open. The. Doo-"

"Stop being an infernal nuisance and get back to work, Mr. Linton." The door opened with a jerk revealing the stony visage of a certain cold employer of mine, who currently looked as pissed off as it is possible for stone statues can be.

"Oh, hello Mr. Ambrose. How kind of you to finally grace me with your presence." I gave him a smile dripping with so much sarcasm that I'm sure there must be a puddle of it on the floor by now, and he decided to reciprocate with one of his usual cold glares.

"I can assure you, Mr. Linton, I am anything but kind."

"I can definitely agree with that."

"However, will you be kind enough to inform me exactly why have you been ignoring my messages since the last three minutes and twenty six seconds and are attempting to damage the door with your fists instead? Be informed that the cost of any damages caused by you-"

"-will be deducted from my wages, which by the way I have not yet recieved, I know. But stop lecturing me now and listen to my brilliant plan, will you?"

"Absolutely not, Mr. Linton. I will not tolerate this waste of my time and therefore knowledge, power and money-"

"It's about the file." He nearly raised his eyebrow by 0.0053 inches and I crossed my hands against my chest, giving him a glare.

"I'm not joking. Now will you listen?"

"Adequate. Get in my office."

----------------------------------------------------------------

No chocolates. Not a single blasted piece of the edible heaven that was chocolate in the entire goddamned refreshment table. I mean, who in their right mind would be organising a ball for more than half of the entire population of London and stuffing them all in a single ball room without any sign of hope or solid chocolate?!

"Miss Linton?" And tons of stupid male suitors! Oh, the torture! The agony!

"Miss?" I ignored the fellow, hoping that he would go away and continued to look at the dancers as if the mundane quadrille they were dancing to truly intrigued me. The things I did to keep myself sane!

"Lillian, my dearest niece!" Please not her!

The wench who currently held the status of my guardian and my mother's sister took it upon herself to pull my arm so that I had no option but to look at the bothersome fellow who was disturbing me. And was it a disturbing sight.