Derek: The truth

“I’m a . . . I’m a- uhh well, I-” I took a deep breath and was shaking my head. Just the thought of saying it out loud sounded ridiculous.
She probably won’t believe me anyway. I thought to myself as I tried to figure out how to tell her the truth.
It’s just three words. I’m a werewolf- hurry up already you pansy. My inner wolf was growing impatient but it didn’t feel that easy.
Kristin winced as the damp cloth brushed against her wound and my mother apologised while I grabbed Kristin’s hand and took away the pain; transferring it to me. I was so angry and furious I wanted to go and hunt down the alpha and shred him to pieces for what he had done. Part of me was worried the scratches had gone deep enough to infect her. I only knew of one other werewolf that could shape shift into an actual wolf and that was my mother. It was a rare gift in the werewolf community.
Just because her mother was a werewolf it didn’t mean that she had more chances of becoming one of us rather than dying. I had heard of other wolves and their attempts to change human family members and half the time they failed.
I couldn’t even stand the thought of Kristin dying. That alpha was going to pay once I found him again.
“Come on Derek. I feel like I’m losing my mind,” Kristin sighed in relief as my mother continued to clean her wound and it kept the anger surging throughout my body although I had to ignore it and focus on Kristin. I had to tell her the truth.
My mother was busy concentrating on Kristin’s leg, she couldn't offer any help and for the life of me I couldn’t say it. I couldn’t say those three words.
“We’re werewolves,” my uncle Peter spoke as he entered the room.
“Sorry Derek but you were torturing the poor girl,” he smiled apologetically and I nodded thankful for his help. I had a feeling I would've been there for another five hours trying to spit those words out.
“Werewolves?” Kristin looked at my uncle and then me with a confused expression.
Werewolves?” This time she chuckled, “This is one weird dream,” Kristin shook her head in disbelief.
“This isn’t a dream Kristin you were attacked by an alpha,” My voice shook with rage.
“Alpha?”
“Every pack has an alpha. My mother is the alpha of our pack our entire family: uncles, aunts and cousins- all of us,” I further explained.
“So all of your family are werewolves?” Kristin sounded like she still didn’t believe us.
“No not all, but my parents are and so is Penny, Laura, my uncle Aaron and his wife Victoria, my aunt Samantha and my uncle Peter,” I also listed the werewolves that were coming to the family reunion as I tried to sound calm but I still wanted that alpha’s blood.
I had to get Kristin to understand. I didn’t want to lose her. I had only just gotten her.
“Werewolves,” Kristin was nodding and I guessed she was trying to come to term with the news. “Does my Grams know?” She asked as she stared at the wall in a trance like state. Her eyes weren’t even blinking, it was kind of creepy.
“Yes,” I answered.
“So I was attacked by an alpha that wasn’t a part of your pack?”
“Yes,” I kept my answers short and straight to the point.
“Were you the one that first attacked it? How come you still looked human?”
“Because I’m a beta wolf, my facial features shift as well as my teeth, eyes, claws and ears but I can’t turn into a wolf. It’s very rare and sometimes they just look big and very ugly like something out of a horror movie, or they shift like I do but have red glowing eyes.”
“Right,” Kristin replied and it was like her mind had left her body. I wanted to shake her but I decided to wait for her to snap out of her trance by herself. I didn’t want to do any more damage.
“Let me take a look at your back,” my mother asked Kristin who finally snapped back to reality and turned her attention to my mother, and I sighed in relief.
“My back’s fine, probably just a few bruises,” Kristin assured her and my mother didn’t push the matter but took the bowl of bloody water out of the room instead.
“Are you okay? It’s okay if you need to freak out.”
Kristin’s gaze focussed on my Uncle before her eyes fell back on mine, and the colour had completely drained from her face.
“So I’m not dreaming and this real,” It didn’t sound like Kristin was asking a question but still coming to term with the news.
“I’m afraid so,” my uncle answered for me and I was grateful I had help with the situation. I had no idea what to say or how to make her feel any better but I knew I had to get her home, she needed to rest.
“Come on I’ll drive you home,” I extended my hand, and to my surprise she let me help her up off the couch. I expected her to never want to touch me again.
“Want me to carry you?” I asked as I noticed her nearly lose her balance. She didn’t reply and there was an awkward silence until she finally nodded, after what felt like minutes although I knew it had only been a handful of seconds.
I picked her up in my arms and my uncle held the door open for me. I heard a jingle as I helped Kristin into the car and I made my way to the driver’s seat door, and my Uncle threw the keys from the front porch and I caught them without even trying. I loved how quick my reflexes were.
“I’m sorry you had to find out this way.”
We had been sitting in the car across the street from Kristin’s house for five minutes in complete silence.
“It’s not your fault. You don’t need to apologise, you saved my life,” Kristin finally turned and faced me, and I noticed some colour had finally returned to her face.
“Is there anything you want to ask me?”
Kristin exhaled loudly and bit her upper lip, “Do you kill people?” Her blue eyes were locked on mine although I couldn’t read her facial expression it was like she was feeling everything all at the same time.
“No.”
“So you can shift without a full moon?”
“Yes.”
“And you heal? What else?” Kristin asked.
“I am also super strong, very fast and my hearing is heightened to.”
“So that’s how you were always sneaking up on me?”
“Guilty?” I smirked.
“Every time you pulled away while we were kissing, was that because you were. . .” Kristin looked stuck and unable to find the right word.
“Shifting. . . yeah,” I replied. The sun was starting to rise, and was turning the sky orange and red. I was waiting for Courtney to cross the street and order Kristin inside.
“Well that’s a relief,” Kristin sighed.
“Relief?” I was confused.
“I thought it was because you didn’t want me, that way.”
I laughed and it was a genuine laugh. I couldn’t help myself. I couldn’t believe she was thinking that. I thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world.
“Kristin you have no idea how much I want you, but I can’t risk shifting when I’m near you.”
“Why?”
“Because I could hurt you or kill you,” I explained.
“Why did he try to kill me?” Kristin’s blue eyes were full of hurt and wonder.
“That’s the thing. If he wanted you dead, you wouldn’t be alive right now.”
“So why attack me?”
“I don’t know. The only other reason for an alpha to attack a human is to infect them,” I replied and watched as Kristin’s eye grew wide.
“What do you mean by infect them?”
“When an alpha bites a human or scratches them they either become a werewolf or reject the infection, and if that happens than the human dies,” I had to hold back the worry from my face. Kristin had been attacked before but didn’t die or turn because it was a beta that attacked her and not an alpha, at least that’s what I assumed.
It was different with an alpha and I hadn’t heard of people surviving the attack without dying or changing. I just hoped Kristin’s luck hadn’t gone anywhere, and that maybe she would be the exception.
What if this time she isn’t so lucky, what if she. . . I couldn’t finish the thought.
Kristin wasn’t allowed to die.
“Scratches?” The horror was clear on Kristin’s face as she gasped and covered her mouth with her hands. “So I’m either going to die or turn?” Kristin asked from behind her hands and I knew she was fighting back tears.
“Not necessarily they might not be deep enough,” I tried to comfort her although I didn’t believe it myself- not 100% and she still looked to be in shock.
“Why? Why me?”
“I don’t know. He got away before we could question him,” I hated myself for not being able to catch him. He ran off as soon as my mother and father showed up. We tried chasing him but he got away. Just the thought made me want to tear something and rip it to shreds.
Kristin shifted her hands so they were covering her whole face and I hated not being able to do anything about the situation, “I’m sorry I just need a minute. I promise I’m not usually like this,” Kristin apologised and sniffled behind her hands.
I reached out and moved her hands from her face. Her eyes were full of tears which were trying to fall down her face although she was fighting and holding them back with all the strength she had left.
“It’s okay,” I rested my hand on her cheek and she let a few tears fall down her face which I wiped away.
“How long do I have to wait before I know I’m not infected?”
“You might start to feel sick in a couple of hours or not until tonight, that’s if you’re infected and your body is rejecting it. If you’re infected and you’ve turned you will know when your wound heals completely which might not be for another few hours or days.”
Kristin just nodded.
“Okay well I guess there is no use crying about it, time will tell anyway,” Kristin leaned into my hand and kissed my palm.
“If you want to end it I understand.”
I didn’t want her to break up with me but I expected it although just the thought had me feeling like I was being stabbed with blunt knives all over my body.
Kristin grabbed my hand that was leaning against her face and looked at me in horror, “What are you talking about?” I noticed her pulse start to race as she held my hand between hers and I felt guilty for causing her more stress. She had just been attacked and I was making the situation worse.
“Well I just thought that me being a werewolf might be to much and I’d understand if you ended it.”
“No! Besides I might be dead in a few hours anyway. I don’t want to be alone,” Kristin tried to make a joke out of it although neither of us laughed or even smiled.
“You’re not going to die, you’ll be fine,” I tried to comfort her as I extended my arms and pulled Kristin into a hug. She leaned her head on my shoulder and squeezed me back with the little strength she had left.
“I’m going to pull a sickie and ask my Grams to drive Belle to school, my mom starts work in an hour do you want to wag another day with me?” Kristin asked as she buried her face into my chest.
“Sure,” I replied as I ran my hands through her dark curly hair. I refused to even think that the claws had slashed deep enough to infect her. Just because I had never heard of a human surviving an attack from an alpha without turning or dying didn’t mean it never happened.
She will be fine, she has to be. I reassured myself.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it? Do you think she is infected?
VOTECOMMENTFANADD TO LIBRARY... XOX