Chapter 55: Human Relationships

"Hmm..." Steven examined Peridot's tape recorder, he popped the tape out and looked at the other side of it, showing the word "Y/n" scratched into it. He placed the Y/n side in the recorder and pressed play, slowly starting the tape.

"Log Date, 7 13 1," Peridot spoke, "The Y/n is obviously different from the rest of these Crystal Clods. First of all, they are human, but appear to have a higher intellect than almost every so called Gem in this traitor clan. They also appear to be smarter than many Gems back on Homeworld. This is highly suspicious. I see the Y/n working on complex equations several times a day. I shall investigate to see where this intelligence comes from and what equations they are solving,"

------

"Uh... Peridot? What's up?" Y/n looked up to Peridot who was standing over Y/n's shoulder, looking at their math homework intently

"Why are you solving geometric equations?" Peridot questioned, "These would in no way be dimensions for the drill... Perhaps your leader is requiring you to construct a structure using circles and ellipses?"

"Kind of," Y/n said as they wrote down an equation, "It's practice, a teacher gives me equations to solve to make sure I know how to solve them,"

"So... These are only equations for practice? They have no practical use?" Peridot frowned

"Correct," Y/n said

"Then why do it? You clearly know the solutions," Peridot reasoned

"Well, I have to reinforce the idea in my head," Y/n told, "It's not like I always knew how to solve these, I gotta make sure I understand and remember it,"

"You... Weren't created with this knowledge?" Peridot asked

"Nope," Y/n said as they traced a circle, "Unlike gems, Humans aren't born with any knowledge, someone has to teach it to us. Just like how I teach you about Humans,"

"...But someone taught you about humans as well?" Peridot asked

"Yep," Y/n nodded, "Almost everything I know has been taught to me, and same with humans before me and humans before them, etcetera etcetera."

"Hmm... and you were created how long ago?" Peridot pushed

"(Y/a) years ago," Y/n said

"Is that one of your... jokes?" Peridot questioned

"Nope, I'm (Y/a) years old" Y/n told

"And you've managed to hold all of this information within that short amount of time?" Peridot asked

"Yes," Y/n nodded

-------

"I cannot begin to comprehend how the Y/n functions mentally," Peridot spoke on the recorder, "All this information on Human History since Gems left Earth, mathematics, grammar mechanics, biological mechanics, physics, and many topics on Earth Science. I was not aware a human could retain that much information within such a short time. Of course, I would be able to, but Y/n is not me, Peridot, so they aren't as smart as I... But this is still unexpected... Though in another subject, after watching the pre-recorded entertainment known as Camp Pining Hearts... for three earth rotations... The Steven, er, Steven answered none of my questions on the strange ritual shown in the recording so I shall approach Y/n and gain information on it,"

------

"Yo, where you taking Y/n?" Amethyst questioned as she followed Peridot and Y/n into the loft in the barn where a TV was set up

"I need an explanation and Y/n is the one to give it to me," Peridot said as she rewind the video and pressed play, showing a kissing scene between to campers, "Explain,"