Chapter 23: Independence Contradicts Itself

"How could this happen?!" A gruff voice yelled over the public prison phone

"Sir, it was that L/n you had me accept!" Principal Finch told, "They recorded me trying to make sure no one talked and handed it into the police!"

"You idiot!" The man barked, "Why didn't you check for recording devices?!"

"I didn't think about that! I thought I had those two under my thumb!" Principal Finch said, "You gotta get me out of here,"

"That's a no go," The man told, "They've got a confession on you, even with my connections you're screwed,"

"That confession has gotta be illegal!" Principal Finch yelled, "It's... eavesdropping!"

"That's a stretch," The man told, "Either way, the jury is gonna find you guilty. But I'll see what I can do about L/n,"

"You gotta be kidding me," Principal Finch growled

"Maybe if you were careful and just did your job correctly you wouldn't be in this mess!" The man snapped, "You let a (Your age) kid take you down! I can't have loose ends like you lying around!"

"Sir, it won't happen again. I swear," Principal Finch said

"I know," The mysterious man said as he slammed the phone onto the receiver.

----------

"Y/n," Pearl whispered as she shook Y/n awake

"Mhm?" Y/n slowly opened their eyes and looked up at Pearl, "Yo,"

"Are you awake?" Pearl asked, "I have to be able to hold a conversation with you,"

"Yeah, I'm awake," Y/n told, "What time is it?"

"Two, I believe," Pearl said

"Mmm," Y/n sighed as they sat up and looked up at the large painting of Rose Quartz.

"Has Steven ever told you about her?" Pearl asked, catching Y/n's gaze.

"Yeah, kind of," Y/n yawned, "I've heard a few things from Amethyst too,"

"Remember when we were all in your dream? Fighting your fears?" Pearl asked.

"Yep, I remember" Y/n nodded as they swung their feet of the couch and patted the spot next to them for Pearl to sit on, "What about it?"

"Remember the voice that rang after you defeated your double?" Pearl asked, "Sticks and stone can break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Now neither can break you," Pearl quoted

"That was Rose's voice," Y/n said

"How did you know?" Pearl turned to Y/n

"When she spoke you called out for her," Y/n reminded, "You miss her, huh?"

"Everyday," Pearl teared up a bit, "Why do you think her voice was in your dream?"

"I-uh," Y/n stammered, trying to think of a response

"You probably don't know," Pearl sighed, "It was silly of me to ask,"

"No, it's not, Y/n told, "You wanted answers, and... I wish I had some. I mean, I barley understand myself, to be honest,"

"Has she... ever talked to you in your dreams before?" Pearl asked, "Before that night?"

"Yes," Y/n nodded, "She still does,"