Lost Years (Part 12)

A/N: Okay so... throughout this part Ava is asleep so she's barely in this one, sorry about that BUT I feel like it's important to really show the aftermath of what happened in the last part. Not that I really know what it's like but I tried my best. Also I can't just ignore what happened because nobody would forget something like this instantly, I wanted to make it as realistic as I possibly could. Hopefully it worked.

Warning: angst, angst, angst and more angst with a sprinkle of fluff

Sitting in Bucky's bedroom with Ava in your arms, you watched Steve and Sam bring the last bags of all the stuff you had taken from your apartment. You knew you'd be staying away from your apartment for a while, you had to take all necessary belongings with you.

You couldn't stop thinking about what had happened back at your place. The whole experience itself was traumatizing enough but the fear of something happening to Ava was much stronger than anything else. You were in pain, physically. You had bruises forming around your body, you had hit your head pretty hard at some point and you had a headache. Even with all that, Ava being safe was a priority.

"This is all of it," Steve announced as he began leaving the room. "If you need anything else from your place, just tell us and we'll get it for you."

You nodded, not meeting his gaze since you were too busy looking down at Ava who was now asleep in your arms. You would have thanked Steve but you just couldn't. You were still in shock. You couldn't focus on anything other than your daughter.

"I called your boss, told her you would be taking a couple days off," Bucky informed as he got in the room. He closed the door behind him as he noticed Ava sleeping in your arms. He walked over to you, sitting right next to you and wrapping an arm around your shoulders.

You leaned into him, resting your head on his shoulders while still holding Ava close. "It was all so sudden," you whispered, feeling your eyes tear up. "A part of me doesn't believe it even happened, that it was just a bad dream but... I know it happened. I keep reliving it and I—" You sighed, lifting your head up to look at Bucky. His brows were furrowed with worry and he reached out to wipe your tears away with his thumb.

"Maybe we should take Ava to bed so we can... talk about this."

"I can't... I-I don't want to leave her."

"She'll be in the next room. We have a baby monitor, we can keep on eye on her. Now, come on," he said gently and stood up, walking over to the door.

You sighed, doing as he had done. You stood up, walked out of the door and waited for Bucky to open the door to Ava's room. You walked in, sighing again as you walked over to her crib. You kissed her forehead before carefully lowering her down. She stirred as you finally pulled your hands away but didn't wake up. You reached down, running your knuckles over her cheek before pulling away and turning to Bucky. He showed you the monitor he was already holding and held the door open for you.

You turned back to look at Ava and heard Bucky walking over to you. He took your hand in his and pulled you towards the door. "Come on," he said gently.

You walked out of the room, glancing back at Ava one last time before going into Bucky's room. You took a seat on his bed and waited for him to join you.

"Did you figure out who they were?" You asked, really wanting to know why on earth they were after you.

Bucky nodded, placing a hand on your thigh and giving it a gentle, comforting squeeze. "HYDRA," he said quietly.

"HYDRA?" You asked, surprised. "But I thought they—"

"Cut off one head, two more shall take its place," Bucky repeated the infamous slogan. "There's always going to be more."