Chapter Ten

As Meredith stood on the flying airplane, she knew well enough that they never meant to stay long enough to get comfortable. It was an early morning flight to Portugal, and the young couple stepped off the airplane. There certainly weren't as many people to greet them, and there weren't as many cameras. It was almost nice. The prime minister awaited them, and Harry greeted him. Meredith stood patiently and groggily behind him, and she greeted the prime minister second.

While the sun was just beginning to rise, it was a rather warm day again in Lisbon. Meredith was able to shed her coat of Ireland. Harry still wore a nice suit. Meredith wore a spring dress, even though it was still winter. It was just a slim jacket over her, even though Jessica had fussed over Meredith catching the flu. There was still the part of her that was so Minnesotan where it had to be icy outside for her to believe it was cold.

The car was off as it went through the old streets of Lisbon, where cobblestone lined the driveway. Meredith, who had never been to Lisbon, was ready to return. The morning was too short of a time to be in Portugal, but without any ties to Portugal and no royal family to greet, it was a quick stop over. Ireland and Great Britain had history, but Portugal's history with Great Britain was colonization and trade. It was a healthy relationship now, in some form.

With rolling hills and beautiful architecture, Meredith missed not being royal for a second. As the sun rose higher, out came media crews and such, and Meredith was thrown back into the royal spotlight. If she wasn't royal, this time was meant to roam. However, if she wasn't royal, she wasn't sure she would have enough money to do this.

It was a farewell to the Prime Minister, who only showed up to give assurance to the world that Portugal stood with the British Royal family and the United Kingdom. It was all to show the world that ties were yet strong, even after Great Britain's exit from the European Union. It was a great friendship between the two nations.

A tour guide for Lisbon took over, bringing the newlywed couple to Praça do Comércio, which used to be part of the royal palace when there was a royal family in Portugal. An earthquake destroyed it in 1755, where it was then rebuilt. As Harry and Meredith walked through the busy square, they learned Carlos I of Portugal was assassinated here, as well as the heir was mortally wounded.

Meredith held the correct face, but her eyes glanced at Harry in concern. While it was perhaps historical important for Portugal, it became incredibly awkward for Meredith. Harry didn't glance at her, having been in these places before, but this was new to her.

Walking forward, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor came to stand at the feet of King Jose I and the imposing horse, Gentil. "It is meant to show the power and nobility of the Lusitano line," said the tour guide.

Next, they went to Lisbon's Story Center in the Praça do Comércio, where it showed much of the history of Lisbon with the rise and the fall of the Portuguese empire. Meredith knew this history well when Jessica gave her many history lessons during princess training. Meredith's green eyes glanced at Jessica, who watched everything from ten feet back, and Jessica gave a look. Meredith snapped to attention.

Moving into the Pátio da Galé, an event had been set up, and this allowed Meredith to be at the top of her game. It was an event for the children of Portugal, and Harry blended in nicely because he did so well with many of these children. Many of the families came from impoverished areas in the capital, and this charity in particular helped children from these areas grow up to be their best.

"Princess," said a young girl, who gripped Meredith's leg, and Meredith smiled down a the little girl, not knowing any Portuguese to respond back. Her long fingers brushed back the little girl's curly black hair.

A translator came forward and spoke with the parents of the small girl. The translator then said to the duchess, "Their daughter learned that word when she found out you were coming. She was so excited to meet a real life princess."

Meredith smiled nicely at the couple before making the small girl look back away. Bending down, she became eye to eye with the small girl. "I'm sorry I do not speak Portuguese," she said, and the translator did her job. "What's your name?"

"Maria," said the girl.

"Beautiful," Meredith responded. It was short sentences so that the translator had time to catch up, but when they were done, Maria hugged Meredith again, and then she disappeared with her parents. Slowly, Meredith stood, feeling her knees crack from bending down for so long. "Thank you," she said to the translator. They moved throughout the crowd together.

When the event was over, Harry and Meredith waved good bye as they got into the car, and then it was back to the airport. On the tarmac, the duke and duchess waved good bye again; this time, many cameras watched them go. Harry took Meredith's hand in his own, and together they went up the stairs. The door closed behind them.

"This way, your highness," Jessica said, and Meredith gave a pleading look to Harry, yet he wasn't able to do anything either.

Taken into a separate room, Meredith was stripped quickly and placed into a new dress. It was only a short flight over Madrid to see the Spanish royal family. The airplane took off as Meredith sat down with somehow hovering over her head, straightening her hair out again. It never managed to stay perfectly straight like Jessica wanted. Another person hovered in front of Meredith's face, reapplying the makeup that had worn off, specifically on her nose and chin. Red lipstick was applied to her lips, as if to make her look fresh and renewed.

"Coffee, your highness?" Jessica asked.

Meredith shook her head. While she needed energy, she didn't need to vomit in front of the King and Queen of Spain.

"We land in five minutes, ma'am. Be ready."

Meredith nodded, trying to always be ready.