Chapter Eight

Meredith found a positive aspect of being on a world travel: it wasn't a long flight to the first stop. It started close and moved far, to come-- somewhat-- close again. Meredith didn't like the flights to long places anyway. Now, it was just a quick hop over to Ireland, where Meredith barely felt sick afterward.

It was a quick change on the airplane, and Meredith stood in front of the mirror as she smoothed the dress down around her. It was loose fitting with green for days. It matched her engagement ring, which she wore constantly because people yet wanted to see it in person. She stepped into the nude heels, which were only two and half inches. No one wanted Meredith towering over Harry.

Meredith's home secretary swept into the room. "Now that's a good looking green on you, your highness," Jessica said. "It looks like the grass in Ireland. You'll match."

Are there different types of grass in Ireland? Does that mean I look like Scotland? Meredith thought. "And here I thought it brought out my eyes?" the Duchess of Windsor suggested.

Jessica stepped in front of her. "Yes. That too. Now, I will repeat--"

"Yeah, I know: don't piss anyone off." Meredith smiled, and Jessica glowered at her. "Jessica, I've got it. Don't do anything stupid. I wasn't planning on anything stupid, but I'll keep it in mind anyway." Meredith turned back to the mirror, and the airplane started its descent.

"It's almost time," Jessica said. "Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"Are you nervous, ma'am?"

Yes. "No." Meredith adjusted her sleeves as her arms slipped into a tan jacket. Her hair was pulled back, but thankfully, no one made her put on a hat. Meredith didn't need to turn into that much of the royal family. "Are you nervous, Jessica?"

"No, ma'am. I have complete faith in you."

"Uh-huh." Meredith turned on her heel and strode from the compartment. Harry sat in his seat, primed and proper, and Meredith took a seat beside him. He read over a file, but his fingers intertwined with Meredith's as she sat down. She gave them a squeeze, and Harry smirked. Her stomach jumped as the airplane landed on the tarmac, and the royal couple was up.

"You look stunning," Harry said. "The green really brings out your eyes."

Meredith kissed him gently, as if not to get lipstick all of his face. "That is exactly what I wanted to hear."

"Your highnesses," Jessica interrupted and stepped forward, "the doors will open and the crowds will be outside. The prime minister and his wife will greet you, and then they will bring you back to the government residence. You will visit the parliament, where you will depart from them, and tonight you will have dinner with the prime minister and his wife for a state visit." Jessica stepped away again, and the airplane door opened.

Meredith smiled, like Harry, but she blinked at the light cast in. Stepping outside the jet, it was another rainy day in Dublin. A breeze threatened to flutter up Meredith's weighed down skirt, and Harry shivered next to her. Meredith, however, didn't care about either of these things. Together, they descended down the stairs, and together they walked forward.

When it came time, like Meredith practiced how many times, she took a step back, and Harry moved into first position. He greeted the Taoiseach, also known as the prime minister, first, and then Meredith greeted the prime minister. He greeted the prime minister's wife first, and then Meredith greeted the prime minister's wife. In other normal situations of greeting, Harry walked first, and Meredith waited until he was done speaking to whoever for her to move forward. It was a short line of greetings, and it was back to right beside Harry quickly.

In truth, Harry didn't like having Meredith behind him at all. He was used to being behind, and he knew the protocol-- but now it was awkward with a wife of his own, especially because he knew well enough that she could do this all on her own.

Harry spoke to the Taoiseach as they walked to the motorcade, and Meredith glanced at the crowds that had lined up to see them. There were surely enough cameras that watched their every move. There weren't any British flags, not that Meredith expected there to be. However, there were more people than how many Meredith thought might show up. She waved to them, and the crowd cheered back. Harry gave a passing wave as they stepped into the vehicle, one behind the Taoiseach and his wife.

"Well, that was a warm welcome." Harry spoke like he was in his royal mode, something that he naturally turned on and off when the moment depended on it. Harry did amazingly well with kids, but nerves and then stiffness came out around politicians and the like.

"Expecting something different?" Meredith asked.

"Yes." He smiled at her. His own excitement filled the car. "We're off on a journey."

"Let it be magical." Meredith grinned. Her eyes traveled outside, watching as the world passed quickly beside the car. People glanced at the cars as they passed, knowing the prime minister in the first one, but with the British flags flying on the second car, it added some second glances. Meredith was happy everything was so green.

"Mere," Harry began, and she pulled her eyes away from the window, "how's your Irish?"

"Horrible. Why?"

"It's still better than mine, but I was hoping you might try to pull it out tonight." When Harry wanted something badly enough he usually got this twinkle in his eye, and now was no different. "And your Irish is wonderful."

"My Gaeilge is not fluent and my accent is off."

Harry shrugged. "How much is your accent off?"

"Enough to sound--"

The car slammed to a halt, and Meredith almost went crashing to the door. Her seat belt held her back, compressing her against the seat. Harry's arm was in front of her body, like a protective shield, and he looked at her, his nostril's flaring. His Adam's apple bobbed. His blue eyes became dark waves.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah. You?" Meredith glanced out the window to where Harry started to look, and protesters lined the street. "What the--"

Signs were held, and chants came about. Most of it was Irish, from what Meredith could tell, but she didn't know Gaeilge well enough to pick out the words right away. The words were also muddied because how far away they stood from the car, so it obviously wasn't them who stopped the motorcade. Yet, as Meredith glanced forward, it was only their car and the cars behind them that were stopped. The Taoiseach's car was gone.

"Fuck the Queen!" screamed a voice as a protester rushed forward, bare-ass naked. "Fuck the monarchy! All of you will burn!" Police stopped him two feet before he pressed his naked front half in front of the car. "Give us Ireland back!" The police began to pull him back. "Fuck the monarchy! Fuck you all!"

Slowly the motorcade started to move again, but it went faster than it did before. Apparently there weren't going to be anymore interruptions for the time being.

"Spreagúil," Meredith muttered.

Harry glanced at his wife, still stiff from the incident. "What does that mean?"

"Exciting."

****************************
Who else is waiting for the news of Prince Harry's engagement to Meghan Markle? (There are quite a bit of rumors flying around about it.)