Chapter Twenty-One

It was a late night flight to Berlin, because even a day off wasn't truly a day off. Back in London, Meredith had a hard time remembering how she spent her days off. She never remembered being this tired after a day off. They drove to the British consulate in Berlin, where Meredith was subjected to a shower when Harry was just allowed to crawl into bed. Finally, she settled in beside him, but he was already asleep.  Sighing, Meredith laid back and stared at the feeling. While she was tired, the wheels in her mind turned.

With early sunsets, there were late sunrises in January. She was up before the sun for another busy day ahead of them. Harry slept in the bed as Jessica sat Meredith down at the vanity, starting with the hair, which twirled in the secretary's fingertips.

"Can't we let it stay natural today?" Meredith asked defeated. Her fingers didn't run easily through the curls.

Jessica watched the duchess closely and then nodded. "Natural it is." She snapped her fingers and the stylists went to Meredith's face, something that was not allowed to stay natural.

When it was time for Meredith to get dressed, Harry was awoken for his shower and for a change. Meredith was zipped into a dress, and she stepped up into her heels. A black jacket was put over her, and Jessica held a hat in her hands.

Meredith groaned. "Please don't make me. I've gone so long without a hat."

"You need to wear it today for the memorial, your highness. The Queen insisted."

Time to fall into line, Meredith thought as she dropped down and Jessica fastened the hat into the curly, blonde hair. Standing again, her knees quaked a bit as she adjusted herself in the mirror. Jessica stood and placed a poppy on Meredith's black jacket. After Harry was dressed in his black suit, a poppy was placed on his suit. His black shoes were shined.

"It's time," Jessica said as Meredith fluffed her hair out again.

Meredith took Harry's arm as they walked out into the closed off driveway. The two slid into the car, and they were off. People walked briskly in the cold, not even noticing the couple as they went. Meredith glanced out the window, careful not to knock the hat off her head. There wasn't a need to wave when no one cared to look your way. The car rolled to a stop, when it was easy enough walk to the Denkmal fuer die ermordeten Juden Europas, or the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe.

Harry stepped outside of one side of the car and Meredith did the same. The British Ambassador to Germany and the German Foreign Minister waited for them at the steps of the memorial. A poppy reef waited with British and German soldiers as the royal came forward with solemn faces.

Silence overcame the crowd as only the birds chirped and motors groaned from the passing cars and buses. Even then, the silence was deafening. No one breathed, careful not to shatter the moment. A bell tolled, and Harry along with the German Foreign Minister laid a floral arrangement at one stone. With there being no real entrance, it was hard to judge where to begin, but with 2,711 columns of stone, many reefs were needed.

Meredith hovered in the back, a few feet away with her head down. Harry never turned his back on the monuments as he backed up and became even with Meredith again. Silence still hung in the air as the British Ambassador and the German Foreign Minister bowed again, and the royal couple did the same. Slowly, they all backed away without turning their backs as bells finished tolling.

Back at the British consulate, it was a quick change. Meredith shed her black clothing and hat, and she stepped into a colorful dress and heels. A green jacket wrapped around her. Jessica did not make her put on another hat. Meredith paused as Harry walked into the room.

"Wish me luck." Harry took off his black suit to be replaced with khaki pants and a tan jacket. He wore a green sweat with a white button up collar sticking out. He glanced at Meredith's face and then stopped. "What's that face?"