Chapter Forty-One

If Meredith hoped to get used to the heat, perhaps then she needed to spend more time in the Middle East and Africa. It wasn't a worry because that was where most of the days were going to be. While a break was coming-- and Meredith dreamed of it-- for now, it was long and hot days.

The airplane descended into Doha, Qatar. "Is it 'Cutter' or 'Ka-tar?'" Meredith asked, but she received no response from Jessica, who was busy going back and forth about Harry with something. It was Qatar for the morning, and then a jet off to somewhere else.

Meredith once again stood in something that Camilla was likely to wear. While it perhaps wasn't something she was going to wear on a normal basis, it wasn't bad. It was airy enough that allowed Meredith's skin to breathe while revealing none. Meredith wore the same shoes she had been wearing over the past few days, and goodness, those all blended together.

"What day of the week is it?" she asked.

Jessica and Harry were still in deep conversation.

"Never mind," Meredith muttered and glanced out the window. The airplane ride had been short, but it felt like forever with the quick talking between the duke and the secretary. Meredith had been told what they were talking about, but it had gone in one ear and out the other. At this point, it was too late to ask what they were talking about.

"Don't you think, Mere?" Harry questioned.

Meredith agreed automatically.

Jessica sighed. "Yes, your highness." She went to the back of the airplane.

When the plane touched down, it was Harry off first with a royal welcome from Shiekh Tamin bin Hamad Al Thani. His three wives came out too, along with his ten children, who were all relatively young.  The British used to own this part of the peninsula for over half of the twentieth century.  During that time however, the House of Thani had ruled inside Qatar.  Much like the UAE, there were many guest workers inside the country as many of the Qatar citizens chose to work within the government.

As well as, Harry and Meredith had been sent here on a political mission-- Meredith remembered that was what Harry and Jessica had been whispering arguing about. Meredith was kept out of it as she was still seen as an American throughout the region. Harry had been sent and had been trying to smooth things over in the region after attempts by Western governments failed. Qatar had close ties with the United States, France and the United Kingdom. However, other countries argued that Qatar was helping terrorist organizations. The more Meredith thought about it, the more she didn't want to be here. Egypt, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Bahrain had all cut ties with Qatar.

Meredith's scarf was checked before she left the airplane, two steps behind Harry. While Harry liked walking out the airplane with her, it wasn't like this here. It was a strict code.

Harry greeted the sheikh first, and then the sheikh greeted Meredith at a respectful space away. Undoubtedly, politics were meant to be discussed, which was a place where the royals weren't supposed to be but ended up from time to time. During this time, there was no place for Meredith, who had a degree in politics.

At the Royal Palace of Doha, the sheikh opened up with laughter and kindness. He had been close with President Obama, as President Obama and President Trump saw the sheikh as a strong ally against terrorism. Meredith had been warned about the sheikh for his strong personality because it was legendary in these parts. While he was very conservative, he was seen as friendly and confident. Meredith saw this when standing in his own home.

"Can we get you anything to drink or eat? I imagine emirate cuisine didn't settle your tastes," the sheikh stated as he sat down in his chair. Harry sat opposite of him as Meredith was escorted out of the room and into a waiting lounge. Food and drinks were served within. Unlike Saudi Arabia, Meredith didn't speak to anyone and no one spoke to her. She didn't know how long she sat there in silence, slowly eating food that she wasn't able to name but it tasted fine.