27 - Steampunk London

I turn around to find the source of the voice. A woman with hair almost exactly like mine stands there, arms crossed, a smirk on her face.

"How'd you get in here?" I ask, standing up straighter to show confidence and fearlessness.

"You should really put the shields up more often, Doctor," she says. Her voice is light, and English; her lipstick is flawless.

"Mae," the Doctor says, wiping tears from his cheeks, "this is River Song, my wife."

"Your-" I stop, trying to make sense of it all. No way did I hear him right. The Doctor puts his arm around her shoulders, and she plants a kiss under his jaw.

"Hello, sweetie," she says quietly. He leans down to kiss her nose.

"Hello, my dear," he says. They smile at each other. It's too cute.

"So," the Doctor says, clapping his hands together. I watch as he goes back over to the console, flipping a couple of switches. "Why're you here?"

"Oh, just," she shrugs, "visiting."

"You're lying," I say abruptly. My top teeth dig into my bottom lip; I wasn't supposed to say that out loud. "Sorry," I say. "Um, do you want some privacy?"

River smirks, staring me up and down. We have a lot of learning about each other to do. "Yes, if you don't mind," she says. I give her a polite smile and walk off.

Once I've gone around the corner, I stop. She starts talking, and I slide my way along the wall, closer to the entryway I just exited.

"...angels in the future," she says.

"How could you be certain?" he asks.

"I was going to visit a... friend... and I saw a lot of statues," River replies. Their voices get lower, as if they know I'm listening. I walk off down the hallway; that's grown folks' talk, and nothing for little old Mae to be listening to. The TARDIS is very vast, and I decide to take advantage of this moment and explore.

Before I have the chance to, I hear someone calling my name behind me; I roll my eyes.

"Yes, Doctor?" I say, fake cheer in my voice.

"We've got to go somewhere," he says. He sounds stern and serious, so I try to look the same. The Doctor continues, "Now, while we're there, you need to do everything I say. Do you understand?" He says the words like  I don't understand English.

"Yes, Doctor," I say quietly. Then he takes my hand and pulls me back to the main room.

"So, River," I start, sitting on one of the railings, "what about the Doctor caught your eye?"

"His ginger hair," she says. The Doctor spins around, clearly shocked; River shoots him a wink.

"I have ginger hair? I have ginger hair!" The Doctor does a few fist pumps into the air, grinning happily. "How delightful," he says before spinning back around and poking at buttons on the console.

"Where are we going?" I ask, looking between River and the Doctor.

"Future London," River answers. "But pretty far into the future. It's turned steampunk."

I raise my eyebrows. That's not what I expected London to be - ever.

"I guess I'll go change then," I say, hopping from the railing.

When I get to my room, I start thinking up outfits in my head.

"TARDIS," I say, as if it was a genie, "show me steampunk." The doors of my wardrobe in front of me swing open, and I smirk. "Thanks," I say lightly, walking to the wardrobe.