12 - The Gala

"Just calm down," the Doctor says still. He holds my hand tightly and pushes my head into his chest. The violin is still playing in the background. After a while, my sobs stop. Slowly, I lift my head up from his shoulder. For a minute, I just sit there and stare at the tear stains I left on his jacket.

I shouldn't be acting so vulnerable around this man. Quickly, I stand up and walk away from him, wiping my face off with my sleeve. Momentarily, I consider apologizing - for breaking down, for not trusting him, for not explaining - but I decide not to. Sensing him walking up behind me, I press my lips together and try to feel, or at least look, happy. It's difficult, but I manage to keep the newly formed lump in my throat down. Then I feel him put a hand on my shoulder.

"Sorry," he says, and I just shake my head.

"I should be the one apologizing," I tell him as I turn. We stare at each other for a moment before I have to break my gaze away, thinking of the gala. "We should get ready for the gala," I tell him, trying to sound joyful about it.

He smiles at me and nods, "You're right. But I haven't the faintest what I'm going to wear..." I watch him jump down the small steps that lead under the TARDIS.

"I'm going to go dress while you do that, then," I shout to him before going off to the stairs leading up. Quickly, I swing through the doorway to my room and close the door as I hit the light switch. I walk over to the wardrobe, a couple paces straight in front of me. Opening it, I think. What do people wear to galas? Well, considering the planet is colorful I'll pick a random color. With a tug to the left, the clothes rack slides down the rainbow of shirts, dresses, and pants arriving to the greens; so I'll wear a green dress. Delicately, I pull a hanger down that holds a strapless light green dress. I hang it on the hook on the inside of the wardrobe door and push back clothes to reveal the center. There's a shoe rack there. The rack moves just like the clothes one does, except I push up or down; I push up, sending the rack spinning slightly. I have to put my hand on it to stop it at the green shoes - the green heels. Tilting my head in consideration, I pull out a pair the same color as the dress with small silver rhinestones along the outside. Then I take the dress and close the doors to the wardrobe.

After I've put on my outfit and practiced walking in the heels, I go to the vanity beside my queen bed for jewelry and makeup. First, I put on the usual eyeliner, mascara, and concealer. Then I choose a raspberry colored lip stick and apply it. Looking over to my jewelry box, I open it. There's an assortment of necklaces and bracelets and rings. I pick a necklace that has rectangular black pieces hanging from it; I also take out a ring with a rose on it. Feeling a need to take a bag, I reach under the vanity and slide out a small plastic bin. Luckily, the green one I was thinking of is right on top, and I grab it.

When I walk carefully down the stairs, I see the Doctor in a top hat and a long tailed coat. He turns when he hears my heels on the stairs, grinning happily.

"Hello, gorgeous," he says to me, holding his arms out. "Let me look at you... wow... spin!"

I giggle, spinning for him. "Gorgeous," he says again.

"Same to you, Doctor," I tell him. In addition to the long tailed coat, he's wearing a white vest and button up with a white bow tie and black trousers and shoes; he holds a white scarf in his hand.

"Thank you, Mae," he smirks, adjusting his bow tie. Then he tosses his simple white scarf around his neck and takes my hand, jogging to the door. "Ready?" he asks, grinning.

I just nod, excited for the night. The Doctor opens the door for me, and three moons shine brightly in the sky. We smile as we walk off down the street to the center of town. Once we're in front of the central building, we take a right as Flora told us.