Chapter Thirty Five

Start from the beginning

Sliding my leather jacket onto my shoulders, I grip the pocket and feel relieved that my bike keys are still lodged in there.

The drive to school is quick as I go faster than the suggested speed. As soon as I make my way towards the school, my eyes begin to scan for dark hair, smooth white skin and the prettiest smile I've ever seen.

When I can't see her, I head to my locker. I begin to swap textbooks around, when I hear the soft pad of vans hitting the cement floor beneath us.

"Hey man," Jai greets me and slaps my shoulder in a friendly gesture.

"What's up?" I grin, flickering my eyes to his.

"I have a proposition for you," he tells me, leaning on the locker beside mine and folding his arms across his chest.

"And what's that?"

"You joining the team, to replace Finn while he's out," he answers casually and the book I'm holding fumbles in my hand and drops.

Jai quickly scoops it up, before holding it out to me, offering me a lope-sided smile.

"What?" I simply ask, wondering if I heard him correctly or whether I'm really losing it.

He grins at me. "I'm wondering if you'd be interested in joining the team again?"

I blink at him for a few moments, before swinging my door shut.

"Does everyone agree?"

Jai's smile wavers for a moment. "Some more than others."

"Finn?" I nervously ask, my fingers tightening around the strap of my bag involuntarily.

"To be honest, I haven't mentioned it to him," Jai says, averting his gaze and I let out a breath of disappointment. "But I told the team."

"What was the reaction?"

"Mostly good," he replies honestly. "You were a killer player, no one can deny it."

"Alec?"

Jai points to his arm. "My poor bicep copped a blow from him, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm offering you the spot."

"Bentley?" I continue.

"Who gives a fuck about Bentley?" Jai rolls his eyes and I chuckle, agreeing.

I find myself nodding, trying to appear casual and not like I want to leap into the air and fist pump. "Okay. Sure. I'll join. Thanks for asking me."

Jai grins at me. "Good stuff. It really is the easier option - you know the team, you know the play, it just makes sense. You would have joined sooner, if it was up to me."

"Thanks man," I say gratefully and we exchange a fist bump. "Are you filling in as captain?"

"Yes sir," he replies and makes a salute.

"Good."

"Thanks for your vote of approval," he states sarcastically as we make our way out to the court yard. "Training is tonight at five."

"I'll be there," I assure him as the cool morning air blasts our faces.

He sends a light punch into my arm, as my eyes land on Isobel.

"Jesus," I see Jai grin beside me. "You've got it bad for her, huh?"

"What do you mean?" I ask him, but don't look away from her as she laughs at something Kiarra says.

"Nothing," he replies casually as we reach the girls. "Morning ladies."

They both murmur a reply and Isobel's smiles shyly at me. God, I love when she does that.