• Chapter Five •

Start from the beginning

"Good."

"Hey! Can we focus?" Daniel slapped Cassius upside the head.

"Ow!" The Gamma pouted, "I didn't do anything," He then proceeded to roll his eyes, "And that depends on what we're focusing on. I get bored of minor details."

"We have a gifted she-wolf that we've swiped her off the hands of Blackwood, and if anyone finds out of her existence here, every pack in North America will be trying to kill us for her." Asher said, glowering at Cassius, "How's that for minor details? Got any questions?"

"Nope," Cassius grinned, but then pretended to falter, "Oh wait, one actually," He held up a finger and the Beta rolled his eyes, "What is her favorite color?" 

Asher's annoyed scowl turned into a smirk, "Why don't you go ask her? Oh, and don't forget to let her eat you on the way out."

"Ouch, I thought we were buddies." 

"After what you did to my hair last month?! That was the dumbest thing you've ever done! You have no idea what I had to go through!" Asher fumed, pointing an accusing finger.

"What, a shower? I'm sorry, bro, it sure is a pain."

"You fool-" 

The two of them appeared ready to tackle each other if the other so much as moved, completely oblivious that they had amused everyone in the room. Their arguments were a continual occurrence through out the past couple of months, and the tension seemed a little bit lighter as everyone smirked and gave each other knowing glances. 

"Okay," Leon shook his head, his features slightly amused, "That's enough, you two are acting like pups. Again.

Cassius glanced at his Alpha and opened his mouth to reply, but a low growl emitted from Leon, and the room was engulfed in silence once again, although Cassius did throw a teasing wink at Asher that indicated their little tussle would be taking place later.

The Alpha inclined his head towards the Healer, signaling him to start talking. 

"It will take time for her physical injuries to heal," Darren cleared his throat, "We should give her a month or so to recover before we introduce other principles. Right now, her wolf is on defense because we're a threat and she's weak," The warriors nodded in agreement, and Darren turned to Cassius, who instantly froze in his chair like a deer caught in headlights, "You will be responsible for getting close to her."

"What?" Cassius's eyes widened, then he scowled, "Seriously, that's just mean. Kill the comedy first, cute." 

"No, you're care-free personality is what is going to help heal her," Darren gave Cassius a shut-up-and-listen glare, "You will be less of a threat to her and her wolf than the rest of us, and frankly, she'll trust you more because you're impossible to hate. If you can get her to be comfortable in your presence, it will give us the advantage." 

"Okay, fine," The Gamma crossed his arms like a child being bribed with candy, "But if I get eaten, I'm coming back to haunt you all for the rest of your lives. Scary shit and all." 

"We'll do this step by step, in accordance to her reaction. There isn't any pressure," Darren nodded when the pack members kept nodding in agreement, "If we show her that we won't harm her, she won't have a reason to attack us."

Once the men settled on their plan, they returned to their orderly pack functions and the day went by rather quickly, besides a few patrol changes and false rogue warnings. The pack remained on high security, and would be for the next couple of months due to their newest arrival.

A few minutes before dark, Alpha Leon found himself walking down the hallway full of warm light with a tray filled with meat and water resting in his hands. His pack members laughter echoed after him from the kitchen, where they shared a huge meal in celebration of their success, and he paused a few doors away from the she-wolf's room.

He wasn't sure how Darren had talked him into giving her the meals, he felt like he would be more of a threat to her, but Darren was convinced that if she saw him as a caretaker that provided for her, then maybe it would work in their favor.

The she-wolf growled, and he could hear her scratching around her space, trying to find an escape, but he knew there would be none. The only way out of that room was through the door, and it was securely bolted. 

He'd made the room with the help of his pack members because he refused to cage her in the dungeon cells like she was a rogue. He wanted her to know that he wasn't like the others, his pack would never be like the pack's that had abused her. 

Not everyone sought to destroy her. 

He drew to a stop directly in front of her door, and he somehow knew that she could sense him because everything had fell deathly silent on the other side. He opened the food hatch, and gently slid the food into her room. 

He just wanted her trust.

She had been broken so many times, he couldn't decide if he had to help her pick up the pieces or if he had to forge new ones for her. His wolf paced inside of his mind, restless with the new situation bestowed upon himself and their pack. 

It would be a challenge. 

He just hoped that he'd made the right decision. 

But only time would tell. 

✙ ✙ ✙ ✙ ✙ ✙ ✙

What do you think about Cassius? Do you think that their plan will work?

This is definitely not my best chapter, sorry for any confusion or plot holes, I've been so exhausted lately. *yawns*

Anyhow...

DEDICATION: This chapter is dedicated to @FallingVixen. Thank you so much for commenting and voting, you truly inspire me to write more and push myself to become better. You are a very special and friendly person, I'm glad that you've chosen my book to read and support. I really hope that you enjoy the book overall, and I look forward to your comments in the future! :D 

Leave a comment!

(Not edited)

-- 2098 words --