• Chapter Five •

Start from the beginning

Darren cleared his throat, collecting his medial supplies that had gotten scattered, "She's been through severe abuse, and the extent of it has pushed her callous response. However, I have picked up on minor behavior that leads me to believe she might have developed androphobia, which means she fears men," He paused when a few of the pack members groaned and mumbled incoherent things, making hopeless gestures with their hands, "I know, this doesn't help our case, but it can be treated with proper time and care."

"Like how long?" Riley, one of the warriors from the rescue, stepped forward. 

"Days, weeks, months," Darren sighed, "Possibly years. It all depends on her." 

Riley shook his head, "How do we know that we can even help her? Some wolves simply cannot be helped, you have said it yourself, Darren." 

"That was with werewolves unwilling to try." The Healer growled, "She is a fighter, so there is chance."

"We don't-"

"I knew her before," The room filled with silence at the Alpha's sudden revelation, "I was a young Alpha seeking alliance with her pack before all of this. When I heard of what happened, I couldn't simply ignore her," Leon took a breath, "She may seem like a monster, but she isn't. She's young, and unfortunately, brutally damaged, but the girl that I know she is, is still under all that hostility."  

His pack members shuffled their feet uncomfortably, glancing from their feet to each other. There was a prominent pause as they seemed to communicate silently, deciding if the she-wolf was really worth their trouble. They considered every option, how this situation could hurt them, and why their efforts would be worth it; until finally--hesitantly--they came back in a consensus.

They remained united.

Leon was proud to see his pack in an understanding, even when they faced a troublesome future, and he continued, "For now, until she shows promise, you all would be wise to stay away from her room unless you're specifically asked otherwise. If she gets out, don't engage her. She's more likely to view you as a threat if you approach her."

"What if she attacks us first?" A warrior asked. 

"Two options," Alpha answered, "You run, and she'll probably chase you. Or you knock her out without causing serious issues."

Darren closed the drawers of his desk, "It seems that her wolf is the higher threat, though. Her wolf was in control when she attacked Jay and it wanted to kill everything in its path. I'm assuming if you don't provoke her wolf, you don't get killed." 

"I thought her wolf was dormant?"Elijah asked, his eyebrows creased in confusion, "I couldn't sense her at the safe house." 

"That's odd," Darren frowned, "Her wolf was very much active just moments ago, I could feel it. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if its a result of some disagreement going on between the human and wolf, its the only other way her wolf could seem dormant."

Cassius made an odd groaning noise, drawing all the attention to him, "This sounds like an extreme case of split personalities. What is she, bi-polar? Maybe we should take her to Antarctica and see which one is more inhospitable."

The pack members faces morphed into deadpanned looks, some of the men even rolling their eyes at the Gamma's imprudence. Regardless, Cassius leaned back in his chair, nonchalantly opening a candy wrapper and popping it in his mouth. 

"You never can take anything seriously, can you?" Asher muttered from the doorway. 

Cassius flicked another wrapper away from him, "I can hear you."