cinq

-          "why'd you run off this morning?"

yerin looked up from her wrap. the low voice belonged to mina, who was towered above her, hanging her inky black hair into yerin's face.

"what brings you here?" yerin joked as she turned around to face mina. it was a known fact that she always ate lunch at this dining hall—it had the only sushi bar on campus.

"did you get to your class on time?" mina pushed a chair out and sat next to her in one fluid movement. she wore a black leather jacket and some ripped band t-shirt, and she was pulling back her hair to reveal silver skull earrings. her perpetual smirk was accentuated by a dark berry-colored lipstick.

"yeah, i did. observational drawing."

"that's cool," mina said briskly, reaching over to pluck a corn chip from the little bag that came with yerin's lunch. "what do you draw?"

"sometimes fruit and stuff, but today it was a model," yerin said, moving the bag out of mina's reach.

"nude?" mina's eyes widened.

"yeah," yerin took another bite of her tasteless wrap.

"why aren't i in that class?" mina grinned cheekily. "getting my fingers charcoal-stained seems fun all of a sudden..."

"fortunately, you can't draw a stick figure," yerin teased. she glanced down at her fingers before rushing to rub them on her leggings. "you saw?"

"pretty hard to miss. you look like a chimney sweep," mina chuckled. "anyway, i wanted to invite you to this party next week before anyone else does. it's at tim's, either friday or saturday, i'll check. since i'm tragically single," she continued, "i'm hoping to meet some cute girls. do you wanna be my unofficial wingman?"

yerin raised her eyebrows with a smile. this would not be the first time she'd played wingman to mina at a party like this, and they all turned out to be a couple of people eating chips and dip around a table. "i just don't think we're a party school," she had told a grumpy mina.

mina saw all this in yerin's expression, and pressed on. "i promise you, this one's going to be a real party. half the campus is going to be there!"

"fine, fine," yerin sighed, surrendering. "just don't expect me to stay anywhere past 11. i need my sleep."

mina grinned. "thanks, babe! it'll be fun, i promise."