Chapter 21

The feeling when I was bitten by the blondie?

Horror and disappointment.

The feeling when Ariel confessed her love to me?

Amusement, elation and love.

When my father used to beat me and my mother ignore my pleas?

Hopelessness.

When the elevator with open doors and broken panel descended to the pits of the building only to find hundreds of undead swarming around the area like hungry crocodiles with us having only limited ammo left?

Now that… is hard to explain.

Joan shrieked and Tammy’s eyes bulged so much I thought it’s going to fall off. Chaff wrapped his arms around Barcode while BC prayed for a silent prayer. Gregory is in the verge of crying while Ariel shouted incessant profanities that may have made the devil’s ears bleed.

And me?

Plain, old Xerxes, stood there, open mouthed while we descended to our deaths.

The old saying is right. When facing death, it’s all in slow motion.

I’m going to die… gonna fucking die…

“… all things that can be used! Don’t leave anything…”

I just confessed to Ariel and now I’m going to die…

 “… someone please… snap… Keenan… daze!”

…I haven’t even taken her to bed yet…

“…X! Snap out!... please… body!”

I’m a virgin…

… a virgin…

… a virgin…

Suddenly, I realized what a stupid life I’ve been living all along! I haven’t had sex in the age of twenty five, I haven’t done drugs, I haven’t gone on a date with Ariel, I haven’t met a kid to teach my legacy to, I haven’t even been promoted to Commander yet!

Actually, I dreamt of becoming General.

General Xerxes. Now, that’s a name!

“KEENAN!”

I snapped out of my daze and saw my companions searching their bags frantically. Apparently, I was the only one left who’s staring at space. Ariel is paler than before and she looks like crap… a beautiful crap, may I say.

“You’re spacing out! I need you to focus!” she slapped me in the face a little bit harder than playful but I didn’t comment on that because I know I well needed it. “I want you to look for something you could use for a back up weapon in case you run out of bullets. Now, remember, the bullets go to the mutated zombies--”

“Undead,” I corrected her.

“Are you seriously doing this right now?! Annoying me?!” She glared at me.

I didn’t speak anymore because my brain is all fuzzy and warm with little gravestones dancing around it.

“Bullets to mutated undead and emergency purposes ONLY,” she emphasized as she closed her eyes in frustration. I think this is one of those times where her options are limited and that death is loitering around her periphery. “Where the fuck are my blades when I needed them?! Get something out of your bag, and do remember this, Keenan,” she grabbed me hard in the arm and pulled me closer so that we’re face to face “, we fight for a new beginning.”