Chapter 11

It’s been ages since I last rode a bike! The helmet prevents my hair from flying in my face and I was tempted to just take it off and enjoy the night air. Ariel clung on my waist, sending constant shock waves in my body. The Ducati bike is like a panther. We flew through the Fort since we don’t have to worry about traffic.

I remember my neighbor, who is my only friend, teaching me the perks of a motorcycle. Of course I am more interested in cars than motorcycles anyway, but I’ve decided to try and learn to ride a motorcycle. Right now, I couldn’t be happier to be riding a Ducati with a very striking woman behind me. Oh the joy. Maybe in my whole life I have never really thought this happening to me.

Ariel shouted the way through the wind and I just obeyed. Soon enough, we reached the end of the Fort and we came face to face with the large titanium walls once again. There is a much smaller gate just opposite of the main gate. This route is mostly surrounded by the thick forest inside the Fort. We stopped just in front of the wall and were met by a check point from three Barricades.

“General!” they said in unison salute as they opened the gates for a small bike to exit. Ariel nodded at them and motioned me to continue. I swallowed as my eyes met the dark, rough road ahead.

She didn’t say anything about this! I mean, I thought her house is in the boarder end of the wall but I never thought that she lives farther outside the walls! Of course she mentioned about a cobble church where Kyle and she lived but I never thought that she still lives there!

I heard cocking of a gun and saw her reloading her silver pistol. She hid her pistol in her jacket and smiled at me “, scared, Keenan? Come on, there are a few undead in the area. Most are just wandering regular undead. I kill them when I have the time.”

I revved the engine and sped through the night, wishing that there are no undead that might appear in front of us. For the first few meters, we were safe. After passing a certain point, I heard a groan and before I could react, Ariel pointed the gun at a walking undead and fired a shot. The shot hit the target making my ears ring at the loud gunshot. I focused on driving and tried my best not to look shaken up. Ariel stashed her pistol again and returned her hand in my stomach. I am not going home tonight! No, no, no!

Ariel shouted directions again and after a few more minutes, we reached a clearing and I saw an old cobble church just ahead. I looked around the area and saw no undead lurking around. Huh, maybe that lone undead is just lost around the area.

I parked the Ducati just in front of the church. It must have been past ten in the evening already. The sky is full of stars and the chilly October air could be felt once again. I hope Ariel has some chimney or at least a heater.

Ariel took out a set of keys and it jingled in the silent night. Upon unlocking the door, she pushed one side of the door and stepped away, welcoming me to her abode. I entered the church, still shaken up about the undead she shot.

The church is obviously a Catholic church. The stained glass can be seen everywhere and the pews are wiped clean probably by Ariel herself. There is still a pulpit in the middle and Bible on it. On the stained glass depicts the suffering of Jesus by steps. Huh. I, for one, believe in him though I am not the most faithful one around. It’s just… it’s better to have something to hold into while I am still alive and, yes, the idea of suffering in hell is eating me up since I was seven.

She motioned me to go up the stairs in the corner and I obliged. The church is not tiled but is made of cobble as well. I followed Ariel behind and she pushed the door open.

She searched for a switch in the middle wall and it instantly flicked upon being turned on. “Hydro power. There’s a river just past this and a windmill behind the church. That’s where I get the power if you’re to ask. I also have a small vegetable garden in the back of the church.”