"The n-nurse?" Evan whispered, his voice hoarse.

    "Yes, I don't think you should finish the rest of the school day. You're hardly in the right mental state, and your clothes are covered in..." Connor peered at the front of Evan's shirt. "Chicken? Bird? Horse?" he guessed. Evan chuckled and Connor felt his heart skip a beat. He made Evan laugh!

    "W-well, I h-have, I have an extra p-pair of c-clothes in my l-locker." Evan said. "I knew th-this would happen one day."

    Connor didn't realize what he meant by that.

    "That's fine, but you're still not going to class after this."

    "B-but-"

    "No buts, Evan." Connor said firmly, opening the door to the nurse's office.

    "Oh, Evan, what happened?" the lady at the desk said, walking around the desk to check on Evan. Connor wondered how he knew her.

    "H-hi, Mrs Kleinman." Oh, this was Jared Kleinman's mother? "I uhm...I t-tripped and spilled my l-lunch on my-myself."

    "Oh, you poor dear!"

    Mrs Kleinman was Evan's mother's best friend. They've known each other since they were in nursing school together in college. Mrs Kleinman worked as a school nurse, traveling to different schools to fill in.

    "That isn't what happened." Connor said. She looked up at the long haired boy for the first time.

    "And who are you?"

    Connor started to answer, but Evan interrupted him.

    "H-he just helped m-me get up after." Evan said, looking at the floor. "The spill w-was my f-fault. C-Connor didn't see everything that h-happened, b-but...h-he did h-help me."

    "Oh, well, thank you. I know Evan's mother, and I'm sure she'd be very appreciative of your helping her son."

    "Uhm, yeah. No problem." Connor didn't push it now, but he would be asking Evan about this later.

    "Now, Evan, I'm going to call your mom and see if she can pick you up. I'll write you a note out of class for the rest of the day."

    "D-don't b-bother. She's w-working until m-midnight. I can j-just go home myself."

    Mrs Kleinman looked at him sadly.

    "Are you sure, honey?"

    Evan nodded, lifting half of his face in a sad smile.

    "Y-yes. I'll be f-fine."

    Mrs Kleinman gave Evan a note saying he didn't have to go to class, then sent him on his way. Connor held the door open for him.

    "Uhm...th-thanks." Evan said to him.

    "No problem, buddy."

    "Uhm...I g-guess I'll s-see you after school?" Evan asked. "I c-can come over after I sh-shower or something..."

    Connor was amazed at Evan. After everything that happened today, after everything Connor had done to him, he was still trying.

    "No, that's not happening. I'm skipping with you and we're going to have a relaxing day at your house."

    Evan's eyes widened.

    "M-my house?"

    "Is that okay?" Connor asked. He probably should have asked Evan first...oh well. Hey, he was trying. He wasn't going to be perfect.